Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 AM
Stitch124

I have been encouraged to continue to post on this thread so I will make one last post on this thread then I'm done. I have my opinions, and I don't like my words being twisted and taken out of context and have assumptions made that I do or don't like certain types of quilting. I was making a comment, not to any one person or skill level. If you took offense, that is your issue, not mine. If I'm given another infraction/banned, then so be it. I lived without the QB for 61 years and I will continue to do so, by God's grace.

I made the original comment not because I don't like 'heavily quilted quilts'. As I stated, I think many are very pretty. I was just making a comment that sometimes, like in fashion, trends go in and out of style. I've taken a class to be certified to rent a longarm machine at my LQS and maybe one day I will do so. Mainly, I took the class because 1) my house is not large enough to accommodate a longarm machine, 2) I can't afford one, 3) I wanted to see if it was for me but mainly I wanted to rent the S16 sit-down machine because I cannot stand for long periods of time.

I was recently challenged by a very sweet QB friend to make a quilt for a quilt show, any show, and see what happens. I don't have the skills to FMQ a quilt to the skill level that many LA quilters have who enter the major shows, but I thought I could at least learn some new techniques regarding color choices, piecing, binding, and general overall skills to make a quilt that might be 'good enough' technically, to be accepted into a show. Sure, I could have entered into a local guild show or a state fair or some type of show along that level, but no, I had to go with a major show, because it was the only one that was going to be close enough for me to drive to.

So I made a quilt, a wall hanging actually. I researched and studied various techniques from skilled craftsmen in the field of quilting, I took Craftsy classes to learn the basics, I practiced and practiced. I went to the library and checked out books on how to make a 'show quilt'. None of them said that the quilt had to be heavily quilted, but rather just make the best quilt I could possibly make. And that's what I did. I even hired a photographer friend to take the best pictures possible to send in with my application.

Now, do I think my quilt will be accepted into the show? Hell no, and I know why....it's quilted very simply on my small Brother DSM with a 6 1/2" harp. It is tastefully quilted and it is as technically perfect as possible. I don't think even the best quilter in the world could have done a better job. Yet, no way do I think my quilt would EVER be accepted into this show, because it's not 'quilted to death!' and because it isn't trendy enough to meet most judges expectations. But I have also been told by several professional quilters that my quilt is beautiful though because, it's not quilted to death and that 'term' came from a professional long arm quilter. I didn't make it up myself.

The one last thing I want to say about this subject, I knew going into this challenge that my quilt was NEVER going to be accepted into this particular show and that is PERFECTLY FINE WITH ME. I simply wanted to make a quilt that I thought was good enough....and I know it is. But it is sad to think that because I don't have the 'necessary' skills to make a quilt that is heavily quilted, I know it advance that it's not going to be judged fairly, because I'm being judged against other quilters who have 'quilted to death' their quilts and they are more trendy/appealing and meet the judges expectations, etc. Now that's an unfair comparison!

I'm a novice quilter, I've only made about 25 quilts, but I've sewing all my life, and I learned so much about quilting making this one quilt...color values, precise piecing, batting choices, thread choices, quilt design choices, how to bury my threads, binding techniques, how to FMQ to compliment and enhance the quilt design, not detract from the over theme of the quilt, washing, blocking, quilt photography, and most of all patience.

I am completely satisfied with my quilt, and knowing that it wasn't going to even be accepted into the show, did not discourage me from doing everything I could to make this the very best quilt I could make based on my skill level.

That being said, I'm very glad that I don't have a long arm machine nor the skill level to quilt a quilt to death. I would never want to assume that just because I can long arm doesn't mean that I would stand a better chance of being accepted into a show.

I know, going in this challenge, what I wanted to accomplish.... and I accomplished it...and I don't need a ribbon or even an acceptance letter to know it. For that alone....I am already a winner.... quilted to death or not.......END OF DISCUSSION!

Last edited by Stitch124; 04-24-2014 at 04:19 AM.