Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
HouseDragon

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Excellent points Skittl. The quilt that swept the show circuit in 2011 was "America, Let it shine" by Sherry Reynolds. This quilt was pieced and quilted on a 20YO domestic Bernina and designed on graph paper, as opposed to using a design software like EQ. Here is an excellent blog detailing all about that spectacular quilt:
http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html

Stitch, I think it is premature of you to so confidently say you won't be accepted at a major show. It is more than quilting that makes a show quilt. Original piecing design, complexity of pieced design (it is doubtful a YBR, BQ or Warm Wishes will make the cut in a juried show, no matter how spectacularly quilted) precision in workmanship, use of color and value, all of these things combined and more are what make an award winning quilt in a juried national show. If it was just heavy elaborate quilting that counted then nothing but wholecloths would be winning.

An interesting point about computer assisted quilting, recently AQS changed the classification of machine quilting in only two categories. Either the quilting was computer assisted or not. Unfortunately AQS decided stitch regulation falls under computer assisted. As Skittl mentioned most of the winners so far are hand guided but they were forced to enter in the computer assisted category because the quilting was stitch regulated. I think that is very sad. I wish they had made the category computer guided instead of computer assisted.
AQS just lost my respect. Sad is the word for it.

Nevertheless, if I ever get another chance to go to one of their shows, I will. I had the joy of viewing every single quilt in two of their shows in Knoxville. Not to mention visiting every single vendor.