View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Not sure I can be much help to you ... other than helping to think it thru!!

I have successfully used Invisafil 100 wt for FMQing in both the top and bobbin threads, using a Janome 6600. Initially I had similar problems where it would gradually shred and break ... unless I caught it first. I would think your different machine should not mean you cannot do this!

With much trial and error, I figured it out and did miles of FMQ with no problem. Some things to consider ...
**tension definitely
**needle switch ... not just the needle size, but needle type. Perhaps try an embroidery needle, to allow the thread to flow on the groove that comes out of the hole. I would probably aim for a 14 size. Also, with batik, you want a really sharp needle .... not sure which is the best for that but would think embroidery would be good.
**as you move your fabric for FMQ, you are creating a different tension on your thread .... and with your thread being thin, it does not have a lot of forgiveness. So perhaps slow down your movement a tad.

Replicate your fabrics, batting and heat and bond and do some sample practice work, til you feel you have the bugs worked out! Good Luck ... the Invisafil does a nice job ... it really is worth your effort to get it set up and working fine. Then make your notes and know where to start the next time round.