Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Invisafil thread problem >

Invisafil thread problem

Invisafil thread problem

Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 AM

Default Invisafil thread problem

Using it for the first time, for machine applique using free-motion straight-stitch. I have a Janome 3160 QDC. Nice thread! It is 100WT poly thread.

I think top thread is jamming as it passes through the tension dial location, because it pulls along great for a while and then chunk-clunk-snap unless I can stop it in time to avoid a needle break.

I have lowered the tension gradually right to zero and it still does this.

I have tried putting the dogs up and doing a straight stitch and it is marginally better.

Is it possible the thread is just too fine for the machine?

I have tried Invisafil in the bobbin, tried Bottom Line, and the bottom tension is fine - it is the top thread.

Machine runs along fine with SoFine 60WT, C&C 60 WT and the rest of the 50-60WT threads.

Appreciate it if you have any ideas!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 AM

Try a different needle size....maybe a 16 or even an 18
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 AM

Wow I have been using 60/8 because I thought maybe 70/10 was too big, and I started with 80/12 but it was making big holes. The fabric is batik and I have heat-n-bond lite behind the applique and a very light/thin batting and batik backing.

Thanks! - I'll try going up in the needles size
Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

The thread might be doubling back on itself and snapping in the tension disc? Try having it feed so it doesn't wind or circle so the doubling back won't happen. Maybe a cup behind the machine with a couple of new thread guides taped to the machine? I have taped a safety pin upside down for an extra thread guide and threaded it through the round hole at the end but a paper clip will work too.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The thread might be doubling back on itself and snapping in the tension disc? Try having it feed so it doesn't wind or circle so the doubling back won't happen. Maybe a cup behind the machine with a couple of new thread guides taped to the machine? I have taped a safety pin upside down for an extra thread guide and threaded it through the round hole at the end but a paper clip will work too.
You have suggested exactly what I was thinking. If this was happening to me, and it has, I would sew again and watch the spool of thread carefully. When I have had sudden stops & then breaks with the upper thread, it was because the thread caught on a rough spot on the spool and hung up, then popped/broke. I have a Brother machine that will only let you put the spool on sideways. Any nick in the spool where the thread spools off will create a problem for me. I solved the problem by using a separate thread stand and running the thread around the bobbin winder guide to the take up lever. When I use the 1100 meter small cones, too much thread spools off and knots up...causes the same breakage.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Not sure I can be much help to you ... other than helping to think it thru!!

I have successfully used Invisafil 100 wt for FMQing in both the top and bobbin threads, using a Janome 6600. Initially I had similar problems where it would gradually shred and break ... unless I caught it first. I would think your different machine should not mean you cannot do this!

With much trial and error, I figured it out and did miles of FMQ with no problem. Some things to consider ...
**tension definitely
**needle switch ... not just the needle size, but needle type. Perhaps try an embroidery needle, to allow the thread to flow on the groove that comes out of the hole. I would probably aim for a 14 size. Also, with batik, you want a really sharp needle .... not sure which is the best for that but would think embroidery would be good.
**as you move your fabric for FMQ, you are creating a different tension on your thread .... and with your thread being thin, it does not have a lot of forgiveness. So perhaps slow down your movement a tad.

Replicate your fabrics, batting and heat and bond and do some sample practice work, til you feel you have the bugs worked out! Good Luck ... the Invisafil does a nice job ... it really is worth your effort to get it set up and working fine. Then make your notes and know where to start the next time round.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Also be sure that the thread is not unspooling and puddling around the base of the spool. That's what was happening to me. A thread net worked.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM

I can't wait to get out of work and rush home to try these great suggestions.

The thread may be doubling back into the tension area when the thread heads back up from the plate - it is so light. And it may be pulling rapidly off the spool too.

I tried putting the spool on my excellent cone-holder behind the machine but I wasn't sure how to adjust the coat-hanger-wire thing that holds it in position. I will try different positions with this also.

I never even looked to see how the thread is feeding off the spool once I put it behind the machine!

I am FMQiong verrrrry slowly at a crawl so I don't miss and put the needle down off the applique and on the background. Maybe too slow?

I have made a pile of test pieces, using small pieces of batik, batting and batik backing, on which (save those scraps!) I took a lot of the cut-off pieces of fabric which still had H&B on them, recut them and ironed them on the sandwich! I am nowhere near ready to start the REAL project yet! LOL

Thanks again all!!!

And thanks for the encouragement, because I was ready to give up (and I HATE to give up!)