Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Invisafil Thread (again) >

Invisafil Thread (again)

Invisafil Thread (again)

Old 01-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Default Invisafil Thread (again)

I read the posts from 2015 regarding Invisafil Thread but would like to know what new experiences show with this product. I have used the invisible threads and my issues with it are 1) ironing (obviously) and 2) its sheen. I like that Invisafil is matte. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM

I love Invisafil for Fmq when I want to do micro quilting for texture. I went back and read the posts from 2015 that you mentioned and was surprised that folks were having problems with it. I use it in both the top and bobbin thread on my PQ1500s and it does great for me. Never had a problem with breakage. Because it is so fine and can be slippery I use all three holes in the pre-tension bar on the Pq1500s.

Rob
Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM

I quilt on a Juki TL2010Q, which I believe is very similar to the Brother PQ1500. I love Invisafil. Like rryder, I use it in both the needle and the bobbin. No problems with tension.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I've FMQ'd with 100 wt with no problems.

Also, it is a really nice thread to use for hand applique.

The best way to learn about it is to experience it yourself ..... what one person likes/dislikes about it, may not be your experiences at all.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
I read the posts from 2015 regarding Invisafil Thread but would like to know what new experiences show with this product. I have used the invisible threads and my issues with it are 1) ironing (obviously) and 2) its sheen. I like that Invisafil is matte. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
What brand of invisible thread did you use? My YLI nylon monofilament thread (invisible) has no problems with being ironed. I tested it. I know what you mean about the sheen, though.

What usage are you talking about? For invisible machine applique, I haven't found anything else as invisible as YLI nylon monofilament. Invisafil is very fine but it is not transparent, so I found it still showed up more. Superior's Monopoly also showed up considerably more than the YLI nylon.

Quilting is a different story. I don't like using nylon monofilament for quilting because of its feel. To get a similar "invisible" effect, my first go-to thread would probably be Superior's Bottom Line, which is a 60wt 2-ply. According to Bob of Superior Threads, the color most able to blend with everything is silver.

I have not tried Invisafil in my Voyager midarm on the frame. Not all machines handle extremely fine thread well for machine quilting, and Invisafil is supposed to be 100wt. I don't know if it would be strong enough to handle the stitching speed of a longarm.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

It works fine on my Brother 1500 both top and bobbin. (1500 means threads per second) I have used it on my older Bernina too. It is really good for piecing when you have lots of seams to meet and join. Poly mono thread is much better then nylon. Nylon is the worst thread ever in my opinion. It stretches too much and will cause all manner of problems.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-06-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 AM

Correct, Invisafil is not transparent, but it comes in a huge variety of colors. For SID, I find that it pretty much disappears completely into the ditch as long as you pick the correct value.

For texture quilting on the surface, like micro stippling, or matchstick quilting, you would want to match the color to your fabric unless you want to use the quilting to add another layer of color to your surface.

I can't speak to its suitability for long arm/frame quilting, since I am a sit down quilter. I can tell you that my PQ1500s is capable of stitching at 1500 stitches per minute and there have been times when I've had the pedal all the way down and the Invisafil handled that speed quite easily. I have also used it on my art quilts going through many layers of unconventional fabrics and it has done very well in that respect also.

Rob
Old 01-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

It sounds to me like you are confusing Invisifil thread which is a 100wt polyester thread with monofiliment thread also referred to as Invisible thread, these products are usually nylon but superior does make a poly called Monopoly which I use quite often for ditching. I also use FilTec's essence which is nylon. Both are super fine but I only use the monofiliments for ditching. I will use Invisifil for ditching and FMQ quilting.

Invisifil made by Wonderfil http://redrockthreads.com/wonderfil-...FceIswod4q0PhQ quilts out very much like silk. I don't use it in the bobbin as I am a dedicated user of magnaglide prewound bobbins but I do use it in the top a lot. I use it when doing dense back fills or when I don't want the thread to show, just the texture.

I do use it in my longarm with absolutely no issues what so ever. Here are links to pictures I have posted of several quilting jobs where I used Invisifil.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t221823.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t260633.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t256886.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t265846.html
Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 AM

I use it for hand sewing appliques, etc. It is not an "invisible" thread, but seems about as thick as a hair! I use only the ecru for everything as its very hard to see. For hand stitching you may have to "secure" the thread on the needle before experience overcomes the problem! So for me, I love Invisafil.
I would like to hear how it is for machine sewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565065[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails noslipneedle.gif  

Last edited by Kitsie; 01-06-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Thank you for how to secure the thread.