View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
I read the posts from 2015 regarding Invisafil Thread but would like to know what new experiences show with this product. I have used the invisible threads and my issues with it are 1) ironing (obviously) and 2) its sheen. I like that Invisafil is matte. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
What brand of invisible thread did you use? My YLI nylon monofilament thread (invisible) has no problems with being ironed. I tested it. I know what you mean about the sheen, though.

What usage are you talking about? For invisible machine applique, I haven't found anything else as invisible as YLI nylon monofilament. Invisafil is very fine but it is not transparent, so I found it still showed up more. Superior's Monopoly also showed up considerably more than the YLI nylon.

Quilting is a different story. I don't like using nylon monofilament for quilting because of its feel. To get a similar "invisible" effect, my first go-to thread would probably be Superior's Bottom Line, which is a 60wt 2-ply. According to Bob of Superior Threads, the color most able to blend with everything is silver.

I have not tried Invisafil in my Voyager midarm on the frame. Not all machines handle extremely fine thread well for machine quilting, and Invisafil is supposed to be 100wt. I don't know if it would be strong enough to handle the stitching speed of a longarm.