Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help...Dumb ?.Bias edge hst ? >

Help...Dumb ?.Bias edge hst ?

Help...Dumb ?.Bias edge hst ?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Default Help...Dumb ?.Bias edge hst ?

I recently bought a cute quilt kit at my LQS to make a quilt for my DSL I love the fabric and the pattern! The pattern is A Lazy Afternoon by Anita Phillips and uses the fabrics in that line. (Sorry, I'd post a picture of the fabrics and pattern, but I don't think I'm supposed to.)

I don't think the pattern looks that difficult but it uses a lot of HST and I am worried about all the bias edges. So here is what is probably a very dumb question for all you experienced quilters.... Do I starch like crazy before I cut the fabric into all the HST? If so, what is the best way to do that? Or is there a better way to work with these bias edges?

I hope that makes sense... Thanks!

Last edited by Auntevie; 04-30-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Hi, Auntevie! there is a very easy way to do HST without having to deal with bias edges! Very easy also for doing a bunch using the same fabrics. You use 2 squares the same size, mark the diagonals and sew 1/4" each side of the marks. Cut between the "seams" and flip open. No bias edges! Here is the chart I've made:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473756[/ATTACH]

And if you want many of the same you can make a grid for doing a bunch at the same time. Just google "HST grids"
Attached Thumbnails hsts.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

being a kit, she may end up short on fabric. all depends on the directions they included as to how much fabric she has for those pieces.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM

Is this the pattern? ~ http://store.sewnatural.net/stores_a...&Item_ID=42644

If so, you do have LOTS of bias edges. Spray starch, but (IMHO) not 'like crazy'. When putting the top together, pin, pin and pin. Do NOT tug and pull, let the sewing machine sew. If you stretch and pull then you will have problems.
Good luck
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks everyone! Grammy that is the pattern. (My son in law loves to fish and I think/hope he will love it.)
I do worry there wouldn't be enough fabric if I don't follow the directions, plus much of the fabric is directional.
Yikes.... What have I gotten myself into!! Lol!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM

I don't have to use that pattern. Should I do a different pattern? Any ideas? I can still get the fabrics tho if I need more.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Auntevie View Post
I don't have to use that pattern. Should I do a different pattern? Any ideas? I can still get the fabrics tho if I need more.
Breath, relax, you will be okay to use that pattern. IF you run into problems, we are here to help. I would just work my way out to the darker blue boarder. Take one step (round) at a time. By the time you are at the darker blue, you will know how the fabric is behaving. If you are running low on fabric you can alter the outer boarder (after the dark blue) and it will still look marvelous. Take this as a challenge and push yourself to learn and grow.

Remember 1/4" seams can be your friend, when they are correct and your enemy when they are not 1/4".
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanks Grammy!!!! That's exactly what I needed to hear
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

No matter what method you decide to use for the HST's, it will help a lot to heavily starch the fabric before cutting. I like a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. This stabilizes the fabric so it is much less likely to stretch and distort with handling. You still need to be careful with bias edges, but the starch helps a lot.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 AM

I agree with Prism's suggestion for the starch solution. I use the same. Spray onto fabric, let it soak into the fabric, then press. Repeat as necessary. I press at each stage of construction of a block. I press the seam as it's sewn, then open up the block and press again. I press my seams open to cut down on bulk but that is certainly up to you. You can always starch again when pressing your HST's after they are cut/sewn to help with any further distortion. The starch is all going to wash out when you wash your completed quilt so no worries there.