View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM
linda8450

Default My first quilt retreat!

I belong to a guild with about 60 members. Some great quilters, some beginners, some come to socialize, some work, some retired. I am 70, retired and have been sewing since I was 4 yrs old. I am new to quilting, mostly piece the tops and stitch in the ditch, so I don't really feel qualified to call myself a quilter. But I try.

We had the opportunity to book a great venue on a lake from Thurs from 1pm to Sun at 11am. The rate was better than I could imagine, $108 meals included for the entire long weekend! Though money is tight, I couldn't pass it up and I am so very glad I went.

I took way more things than I thought I would ever get to, pre-cut some borders, etc. and had all my supplies and tools well oiled and at the ready.

Everyone was so wonderful, what a variety of projects! Paper piecing (over my head and I am 6' tall!) Stack and whack, even a lovely bunch of Crown Royal bags that were magically transformed into a work of art (no alcohol allowed on the trip, but lots had been consumed to make this one). I sewed, ate good food, snacked endlessly, relaxed, we had a masseuse come in and give wonderful massages, and played with my favorite fabrics. I took 13 projects (no batting, just piecing) and FINISHED 11 of them!!!! I am soooo excited!

Someone didn't have a spare machine needle, "Oh, I have extras" was heard. Another had a machine die and was going to leave "Oh, I brought an extra machine, I'll go to the car and get it" was heard. Seam rippers were shared, binding was done by 3 people on one quilt to get finished for Quilts of Valor this weekend's presentation. One lady had a new machine and was having issues, several lessons were offered and accepted. People took time out to help, encourage and lift up those that needed it.

As I said, I don't do much quilting...one project I took was 4 bible verse (preprinted panels) wall hangings, I put a nice narrow flange, added 2 borders and was very pleased, but no idea how to quilt. A very experienced quilter was sharing how I could free motion in between the words, stipple the open areas, etc. but I don't free motion, and this was way above my level of expertise. They are to be donated to our guild quilt show for the bazaar table, so I want them to be nice. She very nicely offered to pack them up, take them home and long arm them! I offered to get muslin and batting first, "No, I have some wool batting I want to try out, and I would love to try my new silk thread if that's ok?" OK? OMG, I couldn't even imagine paying you, and of course she said she wouldn't hear of it! Where do these wonderful people come from?

I can't express how much I enjoyed the whole experience. So for those of you who have been debating as to whether to go to a retreat or not, GO GO GO! Even if you don't get anything done, it is so worth the experience.

This facility has a brand new building under construction, and we are all making plans for the end of summer when it will be finished....we all want to go back! I want to be first on that list!