Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first quilt retreat! >

My first quilt retreat!

My first quilt retreat!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM

twinkie, this is the exact reason I won't go on a retreat no matter how fun they sound, I am a beginner & thin skinned so I know my feelings would get hurt quite often. But maybe in a few years I'll get brave and go to one.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:57 AM

Aren't quilters the best. So glad you had a gteat time.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Oldtisme....I got the impression that Twinkle was saying that it is USUALLY difficult to get so many people together with out problems, but if you followed this thread, there was not ONE negative comment! All that responded said they had similar experiences as my first time, and several had stated they would love to go to a retreat based on my positive experience. If you are in a guild that gives you negative feed back MOVE! If you aren't in a guild, GO! If you need approval, there are folks out there just waiting to meet you, and help you, and praise you! I wouldn't have missed this for the world...can't wait to sign up again, and even if there had been a little "policing" going on, I wouldn't let it get to me...everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong! lol Honestly, I am soooo much a beginner, and no one would have hurt my feelings, on purpose or otherwise...lots of tact is required for some of my stuff!
I hope you change your mind, and can find a wonderful group to share the experience with you.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM

"Where do these wonderful people come from?"

Linda8450, to answer your question, "the quilting world"! Quilters are the most generous giving people! Your experience is my experience on the retreat I had the pleasure of attending.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 AM

I love retreats. I used to go to several scrapbook retreats each year. I haven't been as lucky finding quilt retreats that I can afford in my area.

In any larger group, there are bound to be people who will never be my best friend. Smile, nod, be friendly, accept that I don't need to be besties with everyone in the room and move on.

We've got a neat mix of people in our guild, and I've gotten to know several through guild workshops that I would not otherwise have had a chance to meet.

I am a shy person, so it takes me a bit to work up the courage to jump into a group, but the benefits so outweigh letting fear hold me back.

Cheers, K
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM

I want to go too! Do you live in or near Michigan?