View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

I do have a few friends & relatives who quilt, but I love to go alone! As Sewnoma said, if I want to look at a quilt or demo for 20 minutes I can! I always turn down offers to meet someone for lunch or just meet up. I don't want to be checking my watch to see if I need to leave & find them, & what happens if I'm just not hungry right then?, or in the middle of a discussion with a vendor demoing a new product? The AQS show in Grand Rapids is 200+ miles, so I have to stay the night, I miss the obvious advantage of splitting the hotel bill and buying more fabric, but it's a real treat for me to be on my own schedule.
I love to look at the show quilts, but consider that part as sort of going to a fine arts museum. I am in awe of the workmanship, but am not really inspired by them because I feel it's way beyond my capabilities. I'm a gadget nut, and love looking at all the new stuff the vendors have.
I do go with friends to smaller local shows. These definitely inspire creativity. Many of the quilts there I feel are within my capabilities, and I get lots of ideas.