Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you go to quilt conventions? >

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Hopefully some day I w/b able to go to major quilt convention. But then I think, why! I have fab..maybe too much to sew up in my lifetime...rulers...books...trying to make one quilt from each book that I have...mags...same plan as with the books. Have tons of links of quilts to make from the internet.

So if you are like me and you go to the conventons...Houston, Paduka (sp) Road to CA, Why?...Just courious?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:43 AM

Ideas, inspiration, and to be wowed!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 AM

I love to go to Quilt Shows and look at the quilts. They are just amazing and inspirational. I do not buy much from the vendors as I have most of what I need already and I like to buy local when possible.

It is fun to see new gadgets and different ways of making things.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 AM

I go to soak it all in. Sort of like visiting a museum, except more exciting. You can see art on the internet or in books, but there is nothing like viewing it all up close and personal. The experience always fills me up with positive energy.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 AM

Just to enjoy the adventure and people watch, if nothing else. Seeing a pic of a quilt is good, but seeing it "for real" can sometimes be awesome....
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 AM

I don't have any friends who are quilters so for me (in addition to just going to bask in all the glorious quilts), I go to be amongst people that share my passion. I go alone, but I enjoy striking up little mini conversations with other random "singles" there as we end up in the same bay looking at the same quilts, so I rarely feel lonely at those type events. I usually only feel lonely when I get hungry and end up sitting by myself somewhere to eat; which is fine, I eat quickly and get back out on the floor with the quilts!

I used to really want someone to go with me but now at this point I enjoy my solo trips because it's all on my schedule. I can stare at the same quilt for 20 minutes if that's what I want to do (and sometimes that's exactly what I need to do) and nobody gets impatient with me. And if there's a section of something I'm not interested in (like wearables - they just don't do it for me) I can skip it and not annoy anyone (or have to get dragged through it myself!)

But of course, the main draw is the quilts themselves. I usually go through the whole show twice, just because I always notice things on the 2nd go-round that I missed before. And I do stare at some quilts for an awfully long time, I just can't help it sometimes!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I don't have any friends who are quilters so for me (in addition to just going to bask in all the glorious quilts), I go to be amongst people that share my passion. I go alone, but I enjoy striking up little mini conversations with other random "singles" there as we end up in the same bay looking at the same quilts, so I rarely feel lonely at those type events. I usually only feel lonely when I get hungry and end up sitting by myself somewhere to eat; which is fine, I eat quickly and get back out on the floor with the quilts!

I used to really want someone to go with me but now at this point I enjoy my solo trips because it's all on my schedule. I can stare at the same quilt for 20 minutes if that's what I want to do (and sometimes that's exactly what I need to do) and nobody gets impatient with me. And if there's a section of something I'm not interested in (like wearables - they just don't do it for me) I can skip it and not annoy anyone (or have to get dragged through it myself!)

But of course, the main draw is the quilts themselves. I usually go through the whole show twice, just because I always notice things on the 2nd go-round that I missed before. And I do stare at some quilts for an awfully long time, I just can't help it sometimes!
Thanks so much for your post. I too, am thinking of going solo to a couple of upcoming quilt shows. I don't have any friends that quilt and to tell you the truth, I really don't want to take the DH. He'd be bored stiff. You've given me some courage to go alone. Thanks!

~ Cindy
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I go to soak it all in. Sort of like visiting a museum, except more exciting. You can see art on the internet or in books, but there is nothing like viewing it all up close and personal. The experience always fills me up with positive energy.
Yes, for me it was inspiration. I always took a camera. It is more exciting than shopping and looking online. Since I don't drive anymore, I do miss going to them.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Mostly for inspiration! There are quilts at these shows that will burn into your memory forever because they are so fabulous.

One other valuable lesson I've learned after attending numerous shows relates to notions and gadgets. Watching countless demonstrations, you realize that while there may be a tool, ruler or gadget for every quilting task out there, the reality is that you will probably only end up using a small handful of what's available. This translates into more money in your pocket for fabric!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I do have a few friends & relatives who quilt, but I love to go alone! As Sewnoma said, if I want to look at a quilt or demo for 20 minutes I can! I always turn down offers to meet someone for lunch or just meet up. I don't want to be checking my watch to see if I need to leave & find them, & what happens if I'm just not hungry right then?, or in the middle of a discussion with a vendor demoing a new product? The AQS show in Grand Rapids is 200+ miles, so I have to stay the night, I miss the obvious advantage of splitting the hotel bill and buying more fabric, but it's a real treat for me to be on my own schedule.
I love to look at the show quilts, but consider that part as sort of going to a fine arts museum. I am in awe of the workmanship, but am not really inspired by them because I feel it's way beyond my capabilities. I'm a gadget nut, and love looking at all the new stuff the vendors have.
I do go with friends to smaller local shows. These definitely inspire creativity. Many of the quilts there I feel are within my capabilities, and I get lots of ideas.