Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you go to quilt conventions? >

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM

I went to the PQIF in Santa Clara this last year and I went both days just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. It worked out well because the hotel I stayed in was right across the street from the convention center and it just happened to be in the Great America (or whatever it's called these days) parking lot. My DH loves roller coasters and I HATE them so he went along with me to Santa Clara and rode all the "scary, horrible" rides all day while I looked at all the "boring" quilts all day, and we were both happy as clams!

They really should put quilt shows near amusement parks more often. LOL!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM

I go to four-day quilt shows by myself on the mainland to all four days (discounted multiple day ticket).

I sign up early and take classes. You will know in advance exactly what you need to bring to class: everything either fit in my carryon or in my checked through suitcase.

I take my good camera, a big over-the-shoulder tote bag, and a small notebook; I check my big rolling bag.

Looking carefully at each quilt and taking photos of the whole quilt plus closeups means enjoying the quilts over and over again for inspiration and "just because".

Taking time to look though every interesting (to me) vendor and writing the location of each I want to return to to maybe purchase something at means I can compare prices and decide "Do I really really really want/need it".

As my tote gets full and/or heavy, I return to check-in and add to my rolling bag.

Every class I've taken has taught me something or perfected new or old skills. Sewing machines are provided for classes which is a Godsend for us out-of-towners. BTW, class machines are also priced to sell.

I also bought my first sewing machine since my original 1965 Elna Super. I bought the (then) top of the line Husqvarna 875 Quilt and saved over $1800.00 !!!!! It was brand new in the box and I negotiated a great shipping rate. Before I left home I also negotiated a price with a LQS but they couldn't match the show price. I did buy an extended service contract (much cheaper than paying the annual service price each year) from the LQS. Yet another reason to buy a Husqvarna machine: you will not be discriminated against for buying your Husqvarna elsewhere.

You can enjoy lunch by yourself reading though all the brochures you picked up during your morning adventure.

Another thing I did was try out EVERY SINGLE LONGARM machine at every show I've been to. *LOL* Still saving $$$$$ for that purchase!!!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Sort of like visiting a museum, except more exciting. You can see art on the internet or in books, but there is nothing like viewing it all up close and personal. The experience always fills me up with positive energy.
I second this. Quilt shows aren't just for adding to your stash or to-make-someday list. They fill your soul and rejuvenate your spirit. I feel a simple and wonderful joy to look at beautiful creations and share time and space with fellow quilters.

I also like to attend shows alone, for the reasons others have stated. But - don't discount going with a good friend. I've gone to Paducah once and Houston twice with my friend and blog partner, Cindi. She and I have the perfect arrangement. We are together when we both want to be. We also make sure we have time apart. If one of us wants to wander alone, we split up and nobody's feelings get hurt. This is a rare and wonderful quality to have in a friend, so if you find someone who can do it, treasure them!!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM

I love going to see the quilts, soak up the ideas, and get inspired. Usually I have only gone for a day, but this year, I am going to an AQS show for all four days alone. I am staying at the convention, taking half day quilting classes and have time to see all the vendors and quilts. I am so excited to learn new things.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM

I also go for the inspiration and to see all the new gadgets. Different shops purchase different fabrics so going to a show gives me the opportunity to see and purchase fabrics or patterns not available in my area. I generally go with a friend but once we get to the show we split up so we can attend classes, go through vendor mall or browse through the quilts at our own rate. We meet up for lunch and at dinnertime we meet and then spend the evening sharing the events and showing off our purchases.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks so much for your post. I too, am thinking of going solo to a couple of upcoming quilt shows. I don't have any friends that quilt and to tell you the truth, I really don't want to take the DH. He'd be bored stiff. You've given me some courage to go alone. Thanks!

~ Cindy
Don't be afraid to go alone. I live in Houston and go to Quilt Festival for at least 2 days every year. I've gotten to where I prefer to go alone. I like being able to look at what I want, when I want and not have to be on anyone else's time schedule. I find lots of people to talk to if I want to. Everyone is a quilter. They are all willing to give opinions and help if you need it. And everyone is there for their love of quilts.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I go to soak it all in. Sort of like visiting a museum, except more exciting. You can see art on the internet or in books, but there is nothing like viewing it all up close and personal. The experience always fills me up with positive energy.
Very well said.

I went to Paducah for the first time, and I'm still feeling blown away at how much there is to take in. Then there was Hancock's of Paducah. I bought so much fabric, I had to buy a new suitcase to bring it all home. It weighed a whopping 95 pounds. Paying the overweight fee was still cheaper than shipping it all home. I am one happy quilter.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 AM

Going to the big shows and conventions are so much FUN! It's not just about shopping - it's about being in the presence of some really amazing artwork. Because our quilts are our art. There are so many details lost in photographs...I love to see the quilts up close and in person...some of the fancier show quilts as well as the everyday utility quilts. Also - there are usually classes offered on techniques that aren't always easily found in books or magazines...some of these famous quilters own rights to their techniques and are the only ones authorized to teach them. Plus it's just fun to walk around and meet hundreds of others who are passionate about quilting just like me!!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 AM

I go to enjoy the craftsmanship and works of art. Everyone's quilts are sooo beautiful!!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 AM

Just to check out notions. There's lots of stuff I'd rather see in person. I don't bother with the quilts. Most are pretty and well done, but not to my taste.