Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you go to quilt conventions? >

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM

I like to see what is new with vendors and love to watch demos. I like looking at the quilts and sometimes it is in absolute awe. Sometimes I am just surprised by a color combination that I didn’t know I liked until I saw it. I love to look at quilting up close and get ideas. Also looking closely at free motion quilting makes me more confident in my quilting because the bobbles that make me sad and haunt me in my work are sometimes visible in the works of others. If I am going to a show for multiple days I might take a class. Sometimes it works out that there is lecture/demo with multiple instructors doing little demos and I always sign up for that if it fits my schedule. Another favorite is when there is an area with a display of quilts made by the teachers or authors at the show - it's always interesting to look closely at their work if I am thinking of taking a class or purchasing a book.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM

we are so lucky here that we have five lqs within 20 mile radius. however, i almost always find things at the show that i have not seen anywhere else. sometimes a special fabric, sometimes a new tool.

some of the best advice i have ever found was "don't buy anything the first time through". that saves a lot of those impulse buys that leave you saying "why did i buy that". if it is meant to be purchased you will gladly make the trip back to buy after you have seen everything.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

There is nothing like seeing beautiful quilts in person. Books, magazines, internet can't compete. Seeing them with friends is wonderful, but if you do go alone you will still be among friends... other quilters.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Inspiration... the colors , the methods, all of it ... every last fiber!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 AM

I completely agree with Sewnoma, I enjoy going to quilt show alone. None of my close friends quilt.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Ideas, inspiration and Wowed as Marcia D said - but I would also add - to learn and see new techniques, fabrics and gadgets as well!!

I have gone with friends but prefer to roam by myself. Then catch up with my friends later and talk about what we have seen. Love to go to them.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM

I haven't been to the huge ones yet. I went with my guild to the MidAtlantic a few years ago (Mancuso), and the deal was "be on the bus at 5:00" so I was free to roam and join with others as it pleased me throughout the day. Locally, I'll often take my son along. I go for the inspiration and he tests machines and talks with vendors.

Cheers, K
Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM

I go to quilt shows mostly to shop the vendors. I love gadgets. My husband likes to look at the quilts and likes to go with me. I like him there because he talks me into buying things I like. (I'm like a bird-- cheap,cheap, cheap) He even bought me a gorgeaous FW at one.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks so much for your post. I too, am thinking of going solo to a couple of upcoming quilt shows. I don't have any friends that quilt and to tell you the truth, I really don't want to take the DH. He'd be bored stiff. You've given me some courage to go alone. Thanks!

~ Cindy
i prefer to go solo because I can peruse all I want. In March I went to a Mancuso quilt show in NJ with two non-quilting friends and we rushed through there in 1 1/2 hr and then went out for lunch. I will not do that again. I enjoy taking my time looking at the quilts and also seeing what I want to see and stopping at the vendors I want to stop at.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I love to look at the show quilts, but consider that part as sort of going to a fine arts museum. I am in awe of the workmanship, but am not really inspired by them because I feel it's way beyond my capabilities. I'm a gadget nut, and love looking at all the new stuff the vendors have.
I do go with friends to smaller local shows. These definitely inspire creativity. Many of the quilts there I feel are within my capabilities, and I get lots of ideas.
My sentiments exactly. Smaller quilt shows also inspire me more.