Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you go to quilt conventions? >

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Why do you go to quilt conventions?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:48 AM

3 friends & I make a girl's weekend out of it. I love the demos, the vendors & of course the quilts.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM

I have taken bus trips a couple of times with a guild. It's about an hour ride, so we visit on the bus. But once we arrive I split off and go my own way. Last year, there a another show, again, about an hour away the other direction. That one we had to drive ourselves. I had spoken to 2 different people, who were talking about going, and I asked them if I could ride along and split the gas. They each said yes..."if" they went. Come the day of the show, I hadn't heard from them so I went ahead and drove myself. Thank you, God, for GPS's. I parked my car...and who was getting in line right in front of me? Yeah. I kinda got the cold shoulder. So since then...I only go to have fun...with myself. I can be around me ALL day. Not a problem. I can linger over demo's..w/o being rushed. Buy whatever I "Need". It's a lot of fun.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia D View Post
Ideas, inspiration, and to be wowed!
I go to the International Quilt Festival in Houston,Texas every year to meet up with friends that I only see once a year; because they live too far away to see very often.

And of course to see the quilts,demos and the vendors. I don't buy much because I have to carry it all day until its time to get back on the bus to go home.
Sharon
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 AM

This i a really interesting thread and the responses are most interesting. I am like many of you and like to go to these events by myself so I can really soak in things that really impress me. I have been known to go on two days-one with friends because I enjoy my quilting friends and the interaction with them as we go as a group through the halls. Then, I go by myself on a second day and "do it my way". I usually don't tell that I have gone a second time. I love the inspiration of the work of others but I also feel quite encouraged about my own skill level. I know that there are many other quilters whose skill level far exceed mine but I see lots of quilts there that are similar to my skill level and I am encouraged. I love quilt blogs and videos to help me. I am always up for new things. I am not very ofter overtaken by desire for quilt tools that do one thing. I am one who loves these shows.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM

I go for classes and inspiration. I used to go to Pacific International every year after I started quilting until the year before we moved. I also took some classes when I went to Road 2 Calif after I moved. I hope to go to HMQS and Paducah sometime in the future.

I love looking at the quilts and any new gadgets and fabric. I consider them learning experiences, even if I only see the demos by the vendors as well as looking at some of the quilts.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM

I go to Quilt show-because I can, I love seeing what is new and seeing the quilts up front and personal, and sometimes I take classes so I can learn something new, and to see the Stars of quilting-Eleanor Burns, Ricky Tims, Alex Anderson, Marie Bostwick who writes a beautiful series books on the Cobblestone Quilt series, check her out I know she won't let you down-the Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky you never get tired of seeing, always something to see and I have a lot of praise in seeing them, and just relaxing at what "Maybe" some day I'll do them with all my Stash before I die
Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 AM

After I went to my first big show I was hooked. It was the San Diego Quilt Show. And It was so fun to see what other people do. Then my sister had me come up to Ontario for the Road to California show - it was bigger and we decided it was better to buy the pass, so we went the first day and looked over all that we could. Went back the second day to see what we over-looked. I do the same thing with the San Diego show now. Usually go with a friend and go back the next day to see what I missed. The shows have gotten so crowded it is easier to go back a second day. Not to mention, it is fun. Also, it gives me a chance to decide if I really want something and not impulse buy, I try to wait to buy something until just before I leave unless it is very light to carry.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM

I've gone to Vermont and Chicago. We have 2 near us( Lancaster and Hershey) but I go to get away with friends, eat out, look at quilts and buy new products - it's just a great get away. Do you HAVE to? No, but it's great fun!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM

The inspiration and joy of the quilts, meeting new friends and the fellowship of quilters, viewing new tools, fabrics, and methods, taking classes that are not available at LQS, being awed by everything!

I have the ideal person to go with - my best friend who is also a quilter. While we have some of the same likes, we also differ in many areas. We split up when we go into the show and agree to meet at a certain time, usually for lunch. We each have a list of things we are looking for (sometimes just to see if we really want them) and a copy of each other's list. If we see something that was on the other's list, we give each other a call (love the cell phones!). Or if we see something that is really unique or interesting, we will call. Afterward we have the fun of sharing it all! Ah, heavenly!!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Bless your heart oldpiglady, I know the cold shoulder very well, I'm glad you brushed it off & are going by yourself. I'll bet you enjoy it more spending time as you want it where & with who you want! I hope to go to my very 1st on in Houston this year.