View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
HouseDragon

I go to four-day quilt shows by myself on the mainland to all four days (discounted multiple day ticket).

I sign up early and take classes. You will know in advance exactly what you need to bring to class: everything either fit in my carryon or in my checked through suitcase.

I take my good camera, a big over-the-shoulder tote bag, and a small notebook; I check my big rolling bag.

Looking carefully at each quilt and taking photos of the whole quilt plus closeups means enjoying the quilts over and over again for inspiration and "just because".

Taking time to look though every interesting (to me) vendor and writing the location of each I want to return to to maybe purchase something at means I can compare prices and decide "Do I really really really want/need it".

As my tote gets full and/or heavy, I return to check-in and add to my rolling bag.

Every class I've taken has taught me something or perfected new or old skills. Sewing machines are provided for classes which is a Godsend for us out-of-towners. BTW, class machines are also priced to sell.

I also bought my first sewing machine since my original 1965 Elna Super. I bought the (then) top of the line Husqvarna 875 Quilt and saved over $1800.00 !!!!! It was brand new in the box and I negotiated a great shipping rate. Before I left home I also negotiated a price with a LQS but they couldn't match the show price. I did buy an extended service contract (much cheaper than paying the annual service price each year) from the LQS. Yet another reason to buy a Husqvarna machine: you will not be discriminated against for buying your Husqvarna elsewhere.

You can enjoy lunch by yourself reading though all the brochures you picked up during your morning adventure.

Another thing I did was try out EVERY SINGLE LONGARM machine at every show I've been to. *LOL* Still saving $$$$$ for that purchase!!!!!