View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 AM
noveltyjunkie

There is so much to see in those places and the sense of history and a long cultural tradition is what makes visits special for me, rather than any one site.

Tripadvisor.com is great for info and reviews of attractions.

As a European I am interested to see the take most posters have in how dangerous we are over here! Overall Europe is very safe (gun crime is almost completely absent) but It is certainly true that there are pickpockets who prey on tourists in some of the places you are going to, so it is worth putting a bit of thought into how you can avoid that. Leave your passport on the ship. (Carry a photocopy and some other photo id, like your driver's licence) Try not to look like you are rich and helpless! I adopt a very assertive body language in these places- looking around me with attention, good arm swing when I walk, etc. I guess if you look weak it makes you more attractive as a target for these people! When you stop for coffee, be very careful where you leave down your belongings and certainly don't ever leave them unattended. That's just common sense.

Most of the time we all get along just fine- honest! We are really pretty civilized.

Last edited by noveltyjunkie; 05-10-2014 at 12:44 AM.