View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Do y'all wash your quilts in hot water after they're completed to make sure they play nice in case the recipient has a brain dump and puts them in hot water? I always use warm water, but if there's a possibility it'll end up in hot water, should I use hot water too?
Absolutely! The water in a washing machine is never as hot as you think it is going to be since there is a long interval of cold water coming into the machine before the hot water ever gets to it. I use two color catchers to try to be sure any color bleeding gets caught And then I put it in a hot dryer. I don't expect my quilts to be used to wrap a refrigerator when someone is moving, but I do expect that a cat or a dog will jump into somebody's lap or onto a bed or a chair or sofa on which there may be a quilt. I don't like to have things that can't take the rough and tumble of full family life. And I'm not making heirlooms when I make a quilt, which is a good thing because they would never pass muster with the quilt police anyway. froggyintexa