View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I have used all the methods above and then I had to topstitch on some Dresden points. I couldn't see the card I had taped to the machine showing me the 1/4". My 1/4" foot kept hanging up on the fabric it had to run over. Remember, I am top stitching so there's fabric all over the bed of the machine, not just to the left of the pressure foot. I had to find some way to get the same stitching measurement for every point.

I found that the only method that will work in that scenario is to know where to place your pressure foot to achieve that "darn" 1/4". On my baby Brother Runway Edition, I have to move the needle to stitch 1 (centered and the only one that will let me move the needle), then start playing with the stitch width button until my 1/4" is achieved by running my presser foot edge on the outside of my material that I am top stitching. I have to be diligent with watching the outside of my pressure foot not allowing the fabric to start moving away from my edge. I, also, have a Brother Innovis 4000D and had to use the same method. Find a centered stitch that allows you to move the needle and use any of the methods above to find that 1/4". Then go back the other way 1 click or maybe 2 because the material bulk at the seam will take up some room when you iron them and then write that setting down.

This is all assuming you are using a pressure foot and stitch plate that you can move the needle. If you are using a single hole stitch plate then you have to have a guide of some sort, either your pressure foot or a 1/4" seam guide to know where the 1/4" is. You might can move your needle 1 click with this type setup, but then again, maybe not. Check carefully. If the hole in your stitch plate is very small, you will break a needle the first time you stitch. I have an older Singer that I use the single whole plate on and I do NOT move that needle. The pull of the fabric if it gets weighty can distort where the needle goes through the hole and the results are not nice.

The good news is....eventually you will discover what works for you.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-13-2014 at 04:53 AM.