Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Details of making a 1/4 " seam????? >

Details of making a 1/4 " seam?????

Details of making a 1/4 " seam?????

Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Details of making a 1/4 " seam?????

I have decided I am going to conquer the 1/4" seam and have some questions. Do I measure from the left side, or right edge of stitching, then measure to the left side or right side of the line on the ruler? I bought a 1/4" foot, and to me it makes an 1/8" seam, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM

I have a thin flat plastic ruler. If I want to check for 1/4 inch seam line on my machine I place the point of the needle on the 0 mark of the ruler then line up a piece of masking tape or one of the magnetic guides exactly with the 1/4 inch mark on the ruler.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 PM

I think it's pretty common for a 1/4" foot to also have a mark for 1/8" seams as well. When the needle is in the center position (0), the distance to the end of the foot should be 1/4". So if you line up your fabric with the edge of the foot, is the distance from the stitch line 1/4"?
Then is there a halfway mark on the foot between the needle and the edge? That's the 1/8" mark.
Once you know your marks you can play around a bit with a scant 1/4" to get your measurements more exact. You just have to do some stitch and measure with a very precise ruler.
Hope that helps, post pics or explain more for additional help please :-)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 AM

I have a Pfaff Passport, which is lightweight for taking to classes, and it sews a perfect 1/4" seam. I have a Bernina 830 which did not and I would have to adjust the needle position (real pain). Just had my machine in for servicing and this is one of the things I had them work on. Haven't checked it since getting it back. Hopefully, it is better!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

to find my 1/4" line on each machine I use I use a small ruler with easy to see 1/4" marks. I place the ruler under the foot and turn the wheel to lower the needle so it lines up with the 1/4" mark on the ruler-then I lower the foot on the ruler to hold it in place and put a piece of tape along the edge of the ruler- then I know exactly where my fabric should line up to have a 1/4". one machine I used a stack of about 6 (flag sized post-it's - 5/8" x 2") I lined them up and taped them down- so that machine has a (ridge) to line up with for perfect 1/4" seams. one machine I used a sharpie and actually drew the 1/4" line (after the sharpie ink was dry I coated it with clear nail polish to make sure it never wore off on a piece of fabric) and one machine I found my 1/4" foot was actually a 1/4" as long as I have my needle centered, so I did not have to do anything special with that one after I verified the 1/4" with my ruler/tape method.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 AM

I have a 1/4" foot which gives a true 1/4", but I move my needle over one click so I have a scant 1/4". I find with the scant it allows for pressing seams back without losing my 1/4".
Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 AM

To get a consistent 1/4" seam, I start with an index card on which I use a ruler to measure in a 1/4" line down the long side. Then I place my needle right in the middle of this line with the 1/4" inch marked edge of the card to the right of the needle. Then I use the edge of the card to line Up a strip of blue painters tape on the bed of the machine as a fabric guide line. I also bought a metal "T" bar guide that screws onto the bed of my Juki as a fabric guide..lastly I use a 1/4" presser foot with a guide. It is a "belt and suspenders" approach, but I need all the help I can get! I keep that index card handy to recheck the alignment of everything periodically too.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

The problem is everyone talks about a 1/4" seam, or a scant 1/4" seam, however, you really don't measure the SEAM you measure the resultant PATCH. Here's a way to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
You figure out where on your machine, with the fabric & thread you are using results in the correct patchwork and that's where you sew. The other thing to keep in mind is if you change fabric, go from cotton to homespun for example, or change thread weight, you should recheck your seam because you may have to adjust it.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 AM

Yes - look at the link that Paper Princess included. There is more to a perfect quarter inch seam than the actual seam - because you are using the quarter inch seam in hopes of getting consistent and correct measurements on the block - you need to measure the pressed block. Thread choice and pressing skill can have an effect on your finished project.

I use the yellow Perkins Perfect Piecing Seam Guide to set my machine - I use a stack of 1/4 inch tape as the guide to run my fabric along - I find that if my guide is not taped down to my machine, then the fabric is just as likely to move underneath it.

Deb Karasik has created a great seam gauge and guide that I am coveting - especially after seeing her use it in class.

Cheers, K
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 AM

I have used all the methods above and then I had to topstitch on some Dresden points. I couldn't see the card I had taped to the machine showing me the 1/4". My 1/4" foot kept hanging up on the fabric it had to run over. Remember, I am top stitching so there's fabric all over the bed of the machine, not just to the left of the pressure foot. I had to find some way to get the same stitching measurement for every point.

I found that the only method that will work in that scenario is to know where to place your pressure foot to achieve that "darn" 1/4". On my baby Brother Runway Edition, I have to move the needle to stitch 1 (centered and the only one that will let me move the needle), then start playing with the stitch width button until my 1/4" is achieved by running my presser foot edge on the outside of my material that I am top stitching. I have to be diligent with watching the outside of my pressure foot not allowing the fabric to start moving away from my edge. I, also, have a Brother Innovis 4000D and had to use the same method. Find a centered stitch that allows you to move the needle and use any of the methods above to find that 1/4". Then go back the other way 1 click or maybe 2 because the material bulk at the seam will take up some room when you iron them and then write that setting down.

This is all assuming you are using a pressure foot and stitch plate that you can move the needle. If you are using a single hole stitch plate then you have to have a guide of some sort, either your pressure foot or a 1/4" seam guide to know where the 1/4" is. You might can move your needle 1 click with this type setup, but then again, maybe not. Check carefully. If the hole in your stitch plate is very small, you will break a needle the first time you stitch. I have an older Singer that I use the single whole plate on and I do NOT move that needle. The pull of the fabric if it gets weighty can distort where the needle goes through the hole and the results are not nice.

The good news is....eventually you will discover what works for you.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-13-2014 at 04:53 AM.