Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM
azquiltingmama

I work on sewing machines and quilters in my area get priority in/out repair. The quilters choice machines in my area are Janome and Bernina for home sewing. Many also have a Brother for travelling because they are lighter weight and are a bit less expensive. For beginner sewers and quilters, I always recommend starting on a hefty metal machine until they get used to sewing or quilting and decide that they are going to become avid/enthusiastic sewers. At that point they should move to one of the newer machines. I recommend keeping at least one metal machine as a backup so that a repair does not interfere with a delivery for a show. When I teach, all students work on the metal machiines. They are easier for me to repair and harder to break. This is one reason many people choose the featherweight for classes. The new featherweights.....well, I normally have to add metal parts to some of the connectors because they are break. I have two that I am currently restoring and exchanging parts so that they last a little longer. I do not recommend those.