Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BEST lightweight sewing machine for portability >

BEST lightweight sewing machine for portability

BEST lightweight sewing machine for portability

Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Can someone tell me is the Janome Jem a computerized or mechanical machine. I am also looking for the best lightweight machine to take out for mainly straight stitching/piecing. I have a Bernina 830 Special Edition.it is fun and a challenging learning curve for me. It is not a machine I want to travel around to classes etc. thanks for your help and good luck to the gal who opened this thread. Linda "sassy quilter " .
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 AM

The Janome Jem 760 is computerized and weight 12 lbs. Sews 25 different stitches. A great machine to take to class
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM

I work on sewing machines and quilters in my area get priority in/out repair. The quilters choice machines in my area are Janome and Bernina for home sewing. Many also have a Brother for travelling because they are lighter weight and are a bit less expensive. For beginner sewers and quilters, I always recommend starting on a hefty metal machine until they get used to sewing or quilting and decide that they are going to become avid/enthusiastic sewers. At that point they should move to one of the newer machines. I recommend keeping at least one metal machine as a backup so that a repair does not interfere with a delivery for a show. When I teach, all students work on the metal machiines. They are easier for me to repair and harder to break. This is one reason many people choose the featherweight for classes. The new featherweights.....well, I normally have to add metal parts to some of the connectors because they are break. I have two that I am currently restoring and exchanging parts so that they last a little longer. I do not recommend those.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 AM

I just found a Elna Lotus SP, absolutely wonderful small machine with precision stitches. I'm blown away at the quality of the mechanics and the design. It ways about 12 pounds I think, folds up and is super small and easy to carry. Perfect for piecing at quilt guild or classes.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:33 AM

I also have a Brother cs6000i and love it. It's easy to carry, had a nice hard plastic cover and sews like a dream.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:07 PM

I recently bought a Pfaff Passport 2.0....got it used...someone had only had it a short time, and traded up to a different model. It came with the extention table, and a couple extra feet. It may be a good way for others to get one of these machines, asking if anyone has traded one in. I love it....as I go to a retreat almost monthly and need something lighter weight to take with me.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 AM

I bought a Brother cs6000i because of all the rave reviews on a previous post. I have not been disappointed. As Belfrybat said it comes with so many added extras. I take it on retreats and it is so light and easy to carry and sews over bulky seams without a problem. The Janomi I have cost $$ more and doesn't do well on the seams on pillow cases with french seams but this little Brother just sews right over them. It is cheap enough I can replace it if need be. I really recommend it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I just used the Brother cs6000i at my son/daughter in laws house to fix some Halloween costumes and sweat pants. We got that machine to leave there several years ago and it worked perfectly straight out of the box and over several years of use. I am the only one who uses it and it sews a nice stitch and is not fussy with thread. I don't think I have ever changed a needle. It sees through anything very nicely. I have vintage machines too and like them but also have mechanical Brothers and they are very nice machines.