View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM
DonnaC

Thanks for all the nice replies. I removed the machine from the case, but she's still pretty smelly. The case is too, but I can hold off on that because I don't plan to store her in there. Right now I have the machine in a sealed bag with a bunch of newspapers and some dryer sheets. Hopefully the smell will dissipate somewhat so that I can sew on her this coming weekend!

The person who sold her to me hunts down old featherweights and fixes them up as a hobby business. I thought she may have done an extensive cleaning and replaced the oil pad, but now I'm not so sure. I took the bottom off and it doesn't look as clean as I think it should. So, I'm searching online for instructions on exactly how to clean her, and I will buy a new drip pad (or make one) too.

I'm reading conflicting info online about the smelly issue - some people say it's definitely coming from the case - that the machine picks up the smell of the case, so leaving it out should be all you need to do. Others say it's definitely the drip pad. So, I'm trying everything!