View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM
quiltingcandy

Back in the late 70's I worked for an insurance company and one of my cases was for a property that was similar. A property owner rented this cute little house to a young construction worker. The property needed a lot of work so the owner rented it at a severe discount and this guy was going to do some work. I couldn't believe what he did, it was beautiful. He re-did the hard wood floors, painted every room, re-did the kitchen cabinets. The bathroom looked brand new and the tiling was excellent. Just as he got it all done, about 6 months, the owner kicked the guy out, the owner felt he gave the tenant a 30 day notice so the owner felt he had held up his end. If he had hired someone to do all the work it would have been at least $10,000.00 and this was when the rental value was about $250.00 a month. The young man was obviously upset - he finally gets the place where he could relax and enjoy it and he is kicked out. What we believe he did, but no evidence for sure it was him, he pulled out the stove cut the wall put some fish in it, then put the wall back so it look like it had not been removed. It didn't take long for the smell to permeate the little house. The insurance company was called in because it was believed to be vandalism.

The other one I had was similar, but the owner of the property rented the small house to someone willing to do the repairs. When the owner's son got out of prison he evicted the tenants. They repainted the interior of the house pink. Every thing was pink, the floors, the cupboards and walls. It was written in the agreement that the tenants were allowed to repaint using any color they found pleasing. So we could not call it vandalism. But it was interesting. We ended up covering the damage to the floor and the cupboards. The tenants did a professional job - it was just pink. It was hard not to laugh when we were out looking at it.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-23-2014 at 09:47 AM.