View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM
MaryAnnMc

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Keep in mind that you'll need water/electric/sewer hookups - or, for the latter, a dumping station. Those things alone will keep me from being a camper. Along with bugs and dirt. Now a small cabin with plumbing and running water - I'm all over that!! While it's not for me, I've also heard of several folks who have made lots of new friends and learned new techniques while sewing/crafting in campgrounds. I think if you search some threads here, you'll find people who have done it, for at least a while, although usually with their spouse.

We live a few hours from the Adirondak mountains; a dream of mine has always been to rent a cabin and stay there, alone, for several months. Near enough to a town that I could get to a grocery/dr/post office. Having moved from my parents home to the first apartment my DH and I shared, I've never lived alone. DH, a sports and sci-fi nut, ALWAYS has a tv on. So living alone, in solitude, for an extended period is extremely appealing!

Now that pink camper that Ripstitcher posted - that is a thing of beauty!

One thought - could you rent/ borrow/barter for a camper for a couple of weeks to see how you like it before making a purchase? You might not be able to dress it up, but you'd get a feel for it. Around here, a lot of campgrounds have campers that are kind of parked there - they aren't meant to travel - on spots that are fairly large (so not on top of the next one). Maybe find one to stay in for a bit?
Hey, I'm from your neck of the woods! IF I have a camper, I'll be in the Syracuse area next summer with it. We used to vacation on Lake George every year when I was a kid. My family hangs out on Raquette Lake now.

I appreciate your advice. We used to tent camp, and I loved it. I'm just getting too old to sleep on the ground. In Florida, it's so hot, a camper with a/c would be much better. We owned a pop-up for one summer and didn't care for it. Water & sewer doesn't bother me a bit.

Oh, RipStitcher may be in big trouble. That pink El Rae has me drooling, It's exactly what I've been looking for.