View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 AM
nanna-up-north

Welcome to quilting and the QB. I don't know where you live but I, too, would love to help you get started. I used to teach a beginning quilting class at my LQS and we always started with a table runner. That's usually pretty quick and there are tons of things to learn right at the beginning.

As for sewing machines, I would suggest that you think about a vintage singer. I have been sewing for about 60 years and have had many different machines from the $$$$ embroidery machines to $20 vintage ones. I still have the $$$$ machines but rarely use them. My standard quilting machines are a 1940's singer featherweight and a 1950's singer 15-91. I learned how to clean them and keep them in tip-top shape with the help of the QB members on the Vintage section and couldn't be happier with them. They are amazing machines that seem to last forever. The fancy $$$$ machines cost a fortune to have them worked on with all their plastic parts and computer features. I've found most of my vintage machines on craigslist or at estate sales.

So, let us know what you decide to do..... we are all nosey and love to hear about everyone's projects while we play at the computer and look at the pile of quilts to be finished in our sewing rooms. Just jump on in......