Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nervous Beginner >

Nervous Beginner

Nervous Beginner

Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Welcome to quilting and the QB. I don't know where you live but I, too, would love to help you get started. I used to teach a beginning quilting class at my LQS and we always started with a table runner. That's usually pretty quick and there are tons of things to learn right at the beginning.

As for sewing machines, I would suggest that you think about a vintage singer. I have been sewing for about 60 years and have had many different machines from the $$$$ embroidery machines to $20 vintage ones. I still have the $$$$ machines but rarely use them. My standard quilting machines are a 1940's singer featherweight and a 1950's singer 15-91. I learned how to clean them and keep them in tip-top shape with the help of the QB members on the Vintage section and couldn't be happier with them. They are amazing machines that seem to last forever. The fancy $$$$ machines cost a fortune to have them worked on with all their plastic parts and computer features. I've found most of my vintage machines on craigslist or at estate sales.

So, let us know what you decide to do..... we are all nosey and love to hear about everyone's projects while we play at the computer and look at the pile of quilts to be finished in our sewing rooms. Just jump on in......
Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 AM

At the time, I've had to put the investment on hold. My brother has cancer and will be undergoing major surgery the end of the month to try to remove it which is going to result in the removal of several major organs. My whole existence seems to have come to a stop. I am asking for prayers from all please. Once the surgery is over and we know exactly what we are dealing with, I will be deciding what project I want to start with. I thank everyone for your advice and prayers!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board. There is a wealth of information out there. A lot of you tube videos, quilting blogs, books and magazines. I started out making a table runner, although I have a machine. I think starting out with small items at first is better. As far as a sewing machine, I started out with a low end machine that did straight stitching and zigzag stitching. I now have a Singer and a Janome. I like my Janome the best.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM

I think I would watch a couple of videos, pick a project that catches my eye and start there. Maybe a baby blanket or a lap quilt that will give you good practice. Try not to get a pattern that is complicated to start out with Maybe something like a log cabin block or even a D9P. You can do it and will enjoy a new craft. Also, my workhorse machine is a Viking Sapphire and I wouldn't have any other. It has all the features I want and none of the ones I would never use. Good luck to you and keep us posted
Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by LauraClayton View Post
At the time, I've had to put the investment on hold. My brother has cancer and will be undergoing major surgery the end of the month to try to remove it which is going to result in the removal of several major organs. My whole existence seems to have come to a stop. I am asking for prayers from all please. Once the surgery is over and we know exactly what we are dealing with, I will be deciding what project I want to start with. I thank everyone for your advice and prayers!
Oh my, Laura, what a hard thing to be going through. My prayers are with you and your brother and all your family. Take care. Quilting will wait for you.

Dina
Old 06-02-2014, 04:48 PM

I have one of the really old, belonged to my great grandmother, machines that has the metal pedal. I have never used a machine of any type. I've made maternity dresses but made them by hand. Would the machine I have be hard to learn?
I think treadle machines are quite easy to learn, because they're so simple. It can take a bit to get the rhythm of treadling, but once you get used to it it's easy, and I find it quite relaxing. It would be a great machine for quilting! Check out the Vintage and Antique Machines subforum here for more info and help with that machine.

My prayers are definitely with you and your family. Cancer sucks
Old 06-02-2014, 05:10 PM

"My prayers are definitely with you and your family. Cancer sucks."
You will know when you are ready to quilt again. Best wishes to you and your brother.