Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

When I was up north last year, my son's girlfriend was telling us how she "seed" a few deer in their backyard the day before. My son got "As" in English. He tried to correct her by saying in a low toned voice that she "saw" the deer. Seed is a small grain to plant and grow. She got very upset but he was right. She continued her bad grammar usage. Some things you just can't fix.
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My son grew up knowing how to use seen and saw, but his good habits have gone by the wayside since his wife used it the other way. Sigh! I have heard that this "I seen" thing is much more prevalent in the Midwest; and even specific to central Wisconsin. I'm surprised to see it from Georgia.
My hypothesis is that they hear "I've seen" and didn't hear the "v". Irks me every time.

Really loved this post. But I think the sentence for the definition for illicit is incorrect. The sentence says to "illicit a response" I think a more correct way to say it would be to "elicit an illicit response". Elicit is to draw it out, and Illicit is something unlawful. Am I right?