Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Cecilia S.

Default Problems with jammed bobbin area on Anker Phoenix 429

Hi Group,

A few posts from me today as I have made some Tinker Time, and am enjoying getting my machines in working order again :-)

My big problem now concerns Ziggy, my Anker Phoenix 429 Pfaff-knock-off ZigZag machine. Some of you met him in my first thread when I joined QB last year; http://www.quiltingboard.com/introdu...e-t222378.html

A few months I was sewing and I got a colossal thread jam. I removed as much as I could, but I know that sometimes thread gets waaaaay in there and one has to fully disassemble things. So today I finally alotted the time and I am STUMPED. Quite despondent about it actually, and I am -really- hoping someone can help me.

Following are a few photos. The first shows the "finger" which keeps the hook business oscillating. When the finger is removed, I can turn the handwheel freely and the whole race/hook all rotates freely, counter-clockwise (although I do perceive a small amount of drag; it is not as smooth as I would wish). However, as soon as I replace the finger, then I can no longer turn the handwheel. That is, the handwheel turns, but it spins out and disengages from moving the mechanics.

So, this tells me that the problem is occurring here in the bobbin area (which adds up to my thread jam hypothesis.)

I cannot see any wayward thread bits. I can floss where I think the normal thread path is (shown in first photo). But, there must be -something- stopping things from oscillating. Can anyone help me?

The second and the third photos show six tiny screws; three plus three, which hold the outer parts of the hook mechanism to the central part. I wanted to disassemble the entire thing in order to give it a RGC (Real Good Clean ), but only two of the six screws would budge. They are a fine slot, and not very deep, and -very- firmly there. They have not been moved for sixty years... I am too afraid to bruise or strip them. I am also not sure whether this will reveal the problem or not. I am really not sure if full dis-assembly is the way to go, even if I can figure out how to do it.

I will so greatly appreciate any advice; how or whether to remove those screws? Or are there other likely causes of the oscillating action being utterly jammed?

Thank you in advance.

Floss moves freely:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477659[/ATTACH]

Tiny screws are seized:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477660[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477661[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_7097.jpg   img_7095.jpg   img_7096.jpg  

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 06-02-2014 at 02:09 PM.