Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Problems with jammed bobbin area on Anker Phoenix 429 >

Problems with jammed bobbin area on Anker Phoenix 429

Problems with jammed bobbin area on Anker Phoenix 429

Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 AM

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I removed the whole assembly again from the machine shaft. With vice grips (protecting the sewing machine part with leather) I grasped the shafty area of the rotary hook, i.e. where it goes on to the machine and is held with three set screws. With another pair of vice grips, also protecting with leather, I grasped the center spindle (the "axle" onto which the bobbin case will go. Sorry I do not know the correct term). Having marinated it overnight in Tri Flow, and again giving it a good baptism, I gently wiggled to try to get some motion. Bit by bit, it began to spin. And bit by disgusting bit by gloriously satisfying bit, ALL THIS CRUD CAME OUT!!!! See photo.

I want to thank you all so sincerely. I also had QB Guardian Angel who talked me through a lot of it on PM, particularly suggesting that last step with vice grips. I cannot tell you all how appreciative I am.

Next I need to fine tune the timing and such. But perhaps tomorrow, as I think that may be all the tinker time I am allotted for today. I wanted to share my excitement with you all, and again my Uber-Sincere thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477862[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_7110.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I knew it - I just knew it - I'm glad someone could talk you through it. It is so frustrating. I didn't want to frustrate you further. Now if someone can tell me how to get past the user name on an on line job application...

I have my doubts if you actually 'caused' any more damage - that baby was ready to go south...

Last edited by miriam; 06-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Wheee! What a relief to find the answer and now your baby is even cleaner than before! I love getting the crud out.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Wow, that's a lot of crud that has been hiding for who knows how long... Bet it runs smoother and faster now.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I wish there was an easier way to clean those kinds of messes out.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM

QB Guys!

You -knew- I could not wait until tomorrow. I am now very behind on Real Life Work, but I just could not resist tinkering with Ziggy to get his timing on track.

The timing tinkering was not that hard at all! Now I have re-timed two machines this week; the needle bar re-timing on my Great Blue White 15 Clone, and now this bobbin business re-timing on Ziggy. I feel Smrt. ;-)

I just did some sample stitches, and YEAH BABY!!!!! What a stitcher! Go, Ziggy, Go!

One thing I found with Ziggy is that although I knew he was inherently a great machine, he seemed -very- tempermental; prone to jams and sometimes also skipped stitches. I am still much a novice sewist so I always attributed that to myself somehow (Was I threading wrong? Was I doing something else wrong?) But now that I see what crud was caked up in the bobbin business, it is a wonder that he sewed at all, really!

Thanks again everyone. Candace hit it bang on way earlier in the thread with suggesting the TriFlow marinade and patience. :-)

Oh, CD, I would still love to know how you knew at a glance that it was a rotary hook? Sorry - I understand that the rotary simply goes round and round and the oscillating racks back and forth, but how can one tell simply from looking at the lone mechanism?

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 06-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I knew it had to be a rotary hook, too but wanted to cover other bases incase someone else was lurking. I bet it won't have so many jams for a while.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
..... CD, I would still love to know how you knew at a glance that it was a rotary hook? ......
(As we used to do back in High School in the 60s while pointing to our head.....)

“Kidneys Man, Kidneys!!!!”

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
(As we used to do back in High School in the 60s while pointing to our head.....)

“Kidneys Man, Kidneys!!!!”

CD in Oklahoma
Okay, CD, you got me! I am not smart enuff... (maybe my kidneys don't work?) ;-) Help me out here.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Okay, CD, you got me! I am not smart enuff... (maybe my kidneys don't work?) ;-) Help me out here.
It's not that you aren't smart enough - you aren't old enough