Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Yes, you read that question correctly. I've been quilting for about 10 years and someone has just told me of a different way to use my seam ripper from the one I was taught! I was told to go along the row of stitches and cut about every 3rd stitch. The thread on the other side then comes away, and the cut threads can be picked out. But the method I've just had described to me is to insert the seam ripper between the two layers of fabric and push it gently through the stitches. The end with the little ball on it separates the fabric and stops you cutting through it. I've been trying this method this morning. It is very quick - but - it's still easy to put the pointed end through your fabric and cut it. Opinions please!
I was taught to put the little ball in between the two pieces of material as you describe and to gently push. However, I agree with you that it is easy to cut the wrong bits and so I use the method of pulling from one side and breaking off the thread and then pulling from the other side. I find it faster and less disasterous.