Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper? >

Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper?

Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I cut the top seam about every five stitches. Then just pull the bobbin thread, it should come out nicely. If one side of the block is going to be discarded, I make sure I cut the threads on that side, then I don't have to pick the small bits of thread that are leftover.
i started using this method many years ago. i hadn't been quilting that long, lots of unstitching to do. didn't like the fraying stretching of the edges when using seam ripper. i have a seam ripper in my little tool box, but haven't used it in over 15 years at least. i started using my applique scissors to snip every few stitches ..the bobbin side stitches on seam to be easier to lift & snip. no fraying, stretching or unintentional fabric holes since i abandoned the stitch ripper.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Nancysnotions.com has a gadget called "The Quick Ripper" for 21.99. I know that sounds like a lot but I am so glad a friend at our retreat shared hers with me. I had sewed 8 strips (2" x 44") together side by side and when I went to press them, they would not lay flat because I was having a tension problem on my machine. so I decided to rip them all out and start over (after working on my tension). I spent all afternoon ripping with my little Clover seam ripper and only got 5 strips ripped out. Then a friend said "What are you doing?" I said "Still ripping!" She said "Do you want to use mine??" I asked "What does your seam ripper do that mine doesn't?" Well she showed me. I still had 3 strips to rip and she had all 3 done in less than 3 minutes. I almost fainted. I had just spent all afternoon ripping the other 5. First thing I did when I got home was order my Quick Ripper. You will still get the little pokies but I also got one of those with the eraser type end and it still saved me tons of time. I don't know how I ever lived without the "Quick Ripper" from Nancys Notions. So worth the money I spent. Now my DH accuses me of making sewing goofs on purpose just so I can play with my Quick Ripper. I love ripping now!!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Yes, you read that question correctly. I've been quilting for about 10 years and someone has just told me of a different way to use my seam ripper from the one I was taught! I was told to go along the row of stitches and cut about every 3rd stitch. The thread on the other side then comes away, and the cut threads can be picked out. But the method I've just had described to me is to insert the seam ripper between the two layers of fabric and push it gently through the stitches. The end with the little ball on it separates the fabric and stops you cutting through it. I've been trying this method this morning. It is very quick - but - it's still easy to put the pointed end through your fabric and cut it. Opinions please!
I was taught to put the little ball in between the two pieces of material as you describe and to gently push. However, I agree with you that it is easy to cut the wrong bits and so I use the method of pulling from one side and breaking off the thread and then pulling from the other side. I find it faster and less disasterous.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I have done both. It seems that, for me anyway, it depends how how small I made my stitches, will determine the success of the fast way.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Very carefully :-). I have done damage.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Same for me!
Same for me....
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Default ER stitch remover scissors work great

I worked at a hospital ER and brought home one of the throw away small stitch remover scissors with a curved narrow cut blade. (It almost looks like a hook) They work great for snipping every 3rd to 4th stitch, then pull the bobbin thread. I like them better than a regular seam ripper.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 PM

I use both ways - depends on the seam and how tight the stitch and the type or weave of the fabric.. Some it is very easy to slide the scalpel - and others would be impossible. I also don't have a lint roller, I wrap a little scotch tape around a couple fingers. See?? That was a neat question! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Depending on how much ripping...I have done it both ways.....have also done it with a rotary cutter....EB showed that on her tv program once awhile back....like I said depends on how long a seam and what mood I'm in.....
Same here, also depends how much of a hurry I'm in at the time.