Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper? >

Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper?

Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Default Very basic question 1 - how do you use a seam ripper?

Yes, you read that question correctly. I've been quilting for about 10 years and someone has just told me of a different way to use my seam ripper from the one I was taught! I was told to go along the row of stitches and cut about every 3rd stitch. The thread on the other side then comes away, and the cut threads can be picked out. But the method I've just had described to me is to insert the seam ripper between the two layers of fabric and push it gently through the stitches. The end with the little ball on it separates the fabric and stops you cutting through it. I've been trying this method this morning. It is very quick - but - it's still easy to put the pointed end through your fabric and cut it. Opinions please!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I cut the top seam about every five stitches. Then just pull the bobbin thread, it should come out nicely. If one side of the block is going to be discarded, I make sure I cut the threads on that side, then I don't have to pick the small bits of thread that are leftover.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM

Depending on how much ripping...I have done it both ways.....have also done it with a rotary cutter....EB showed that on her tv program once awhile back....like I said depends on how long a seam and what mood I'm in.....
Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Depending on how much ripping...I have done it both ways.....have also done it with a rotary cutter....EB showed that on her tv program once awhile back....like I said depends on how long a seam and what mood I'm in.....
Same for me!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 AM

I have done it both ways, too. Sometimes it depends on how sharp my seam ripper is.
And keep the lint roller handy to take care of the little pieces that are left.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 AM

I do it both ways and use two kind of rippers. I found that there is more chance of ripping through your fabric if you're not careful with the " in between the seam" method.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 AM

The in between the seam method can stretch your pieces if you're not really careful, plus you end up with a lot more threads to pick out since it cuts thread on both sides.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

i had always done it your new way. i recently tried it your old way. somehow, i keep reverting back to your new way.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
The in between the seam method can stretch your pieces if you're not really careful, plus you end up with a lot more threads to pick out since it cuts thread on both sides.
I was thinking this as well. I did more of the between pieces when I was sewing garments. For quilt piecing (or I should say un-piecing) I do the every 3-5 stitches cutting of thread.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 AM

yep, I have to do the "in between seams" way for paper piecing, using a scalpel type ripper. Stitches are so short. It's carried over into my regular un-piecing as well ;-)

There's no stretching of the fabrics if you keep a sharp blade. like cutting butter ;-)