View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 AM
Mrs. SewNSew

Default I brought home one for repair

Someone finally talked me into it. I knew it would happen eventually. Other people have mentioned their machines in hopes I do repair and I have waived them off.

I was checking out the yard sales yesterday and as usual asking about sewing machines just in case one was hidden from sight. The homeowner said yes! they had a machine but they were having troubles with it, and the conversation continued as I explained I take them working or not if the price is right. Somehow it moved to her wanting me to fix her machine. It felt awkward and I explained I am new to this hobby and generally don't do that but she said if I fix it she'll pay me and if I don't then keep it. Well, ok. When she found the box she'd put it into, I saw it was a Necchi. It had been so long since she had the problem she couldn't remember what it was.

I got it home and found it missing the bobbin case, the hook and other underpinnings to the bobbin area so I let her know and she is looking for those.

In the meantime, I cleaned and oiled it and found parts in my stash for it. I had it straight stitching just fine last night so will run the rest of the patterns and see how that goes.

Since we never talked price and now I am likely adding in parts what would be fair to charge her? This is a first for me. I don't want to go too high and I wouldn't want to go too low in case she tells friends and they want help too.

Does everyone eventually get asked to repair machines?