View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM
BETTY62

Default What to do with Hand Embroidery

When cleaning out my Mon's home last year, I found a set of pillow cases which has beautiful hand embroidery work on the top of the front of the case. However, the actual top of the case needs to be finished out as it has never been hemmed and I can't figure out how it is supose to be done. About 3/8 of an inch above the hand embroider stitching is a machine scalloped line of stitching and about 1/2 inch above that stitching is the raw edge of the fabric. The width of the fabric above the scolpped edge is not wide enough to turn the fabric under 1/4 inch to make a small hem. I remember seeing these pre-printed patterned pillow cases for sale at the 5 & 10 Cent Stores when I was a child ( like in the early 50's ) and we used them on our beds when I was growing up but I never paid any real attention to how they were finished out. I'm thinking maybe the case even had a wide row of cotton lace at the top. Can anyone help me with this?

I am very blessed as my Mom is still living and turned 100 yrs old in January. I would love to finish these out and take them up to the Nursing Home for her to use. I think seeing the finished cases would really put a big smile on her face as she has reached that stage in life where she can rember the past but not so much of the present.

Thank you in advance for your help and/or suggestions with my issue.