Thread: My Singer 301
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
just putting oil on all the moving metal parts. it's like drowning them in oil and let it sit for a day or two then try to move the hand wheel ever so slowly. see if it works but if you've done some oiling on all the moving parts then it could be something else. now it dawned on me - since this has a built in motor, would you be able to go in and check the motor. gear maybe broken. i have a 301 but i have not work on the 301 deeper than just putting oil. there is definitely going on between the hand wheel and motor/motor gear (in my assumption). i maybe wrong but just another possibility. i found THIS VIDEO ABOUT 301 REPAIR you might want to check it out.

also the bobbin mechanism might be engaged. check it out.
Singerguy, the machine ran when she got it, but had tension problems. Now it's jammed up so that the handwheel only turns properly without the throat plate on. That eliminates a lot of the variables.

I coudn't watch the video, it made me motion sick

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I am sorry that you guys feel like your going in circles as for the question you asked about what I did I guess it was the hook base tutorial that I followed. I am trying to see what your showing me in the picture but can't figure out what it is that I am looking at?? Is that the back of the bobbin case? I'm going to upload some more pictures BRB hopefully they will help. Also just wanted to say I took the throat plate off again and ran the machine and it runs like a charm soon as I put it back on it's stuck, definitely something with that darned finger thing.
It seems like we are because in this thread we're covering what we've already covered in the other thread.

OK, so if it was the hook base tutorial, that should have revealed some thread or something. That's the most common place that the machine gets jammed up. The gears you've shown us, I assume those are the gears you mentioned were not turning? None of them will turn with the machine bound up. It all moves basically as a whole, unless something's broken. So be happy they're not turning at this point.

That photo I posted is exactly what you thought it was. It's basically the same photo as the one that has your serial number in it. Check in that area with a flashlight and a magnifier if you can to make sure there's no thread in there at all.

With the throatplate off, when the finger isn't trapped - does it rotate freely by hand, or does it only turn when you turn the handwheel?

At the end of the day, if the answer to this is that it doesn't rotate freely, either something is mis-assembled (difficult to do) or there's still a very well hidden piece of thread or something else is holding that plate with the finger too tight in place and that's stopping the machine from running.

I should mention too - whatever you do, do not try to run this machine with the throat plate in place until you have this problem fixed. If that finger breaks off, you have to replace that whole base piece you had out to clear the jam.

Now, as for your photos, something's bothering me about that second photo. The hook base looks funny to me. I'm going to try to catch DH before he goes to bed so he can pull the 301 down. BRB.