My Singer 301

Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Default My Singer 301

I could not figure out how to attach the pictures of the 301 to try and determine what my problem is why the handwheel is stuck. Basically this is a continuation of the "OK all you vintage enthusiasts" thread. I tried the best I could with the pictures unfortunately there are too many pictures on my good camera so tried with this one. If it doesn't work enough I will try again. Isn't she just beautiful though? This is why I can't give up on her and I would really love to be able to fix her without the cost of a repair place that may just make matters worst. Besides I have the very best here so why go any place else??
Attached Thumbnails singer-301.jpg   back-singer.jpg   bottom-singer.jpg   closeup-bottom.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Well, I can't help you, but just wait, someone will be on here to help. And also, your baby is beautiful.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Have you done some oiling or cleaning on the machine? It looks like there's dried oil all over. I can see from so many brown area on the metal parts. If you're just in my area I will be able to help you out and check it out for free. There's so many variables on why the wheel won't turn. It could be the hand wheel itself. It could be the metal are dried up with oil. It could be the gears. But first things first- you need to soak it in oil for a day or two. Then check again if the hand wheel will move. Then oil again and try again. I have fixed some machines that have stuck handwheel and all I'll do is oil it. Try it first then let us know what happened.

the only other thing I can tell you is dont give up as your problem can be fixed.

Last edited by singerguy; 06-16-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Can you shoot a picture of the bobbin area?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:59 PM

The last thread you posted was very, very long and full of help and hints. I would imagine that everything you need to know about repairing it has been written in that thread. I assure you, that if you find a good sewing tech in your area he/she won't make it worse.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Have you checked the bobbin drive for thread jams? Joe
Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Singerguy can you tell me what you mean when you say "soak it in oil" initially I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the machine so all I did was take anything out that I saw (dust, debris, caked oil) and oiled it. Then everything went wrong.
Miriam how do I attach a picture to this thread once started? I couldn't do it earlier that's why I started this one.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Joe I have done that I took the whole bobbin case apart and put it all back together but still can not turn the handwheel once I replace the throat plate. The finger is in the right position as you'll see when someone tells me how to attach a picture.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Singerguy can you tell me what you mean when you say "soak it in oil" initially I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the machine so all I did was take anything out that I saw (dust, debris, caked oil) and oiled it. Then everything went wrong.
Miriam how do I attach a picture to this thread once started? I couldn't do it earlier that's why I started this one.
just putting oil on all the moving metal parts. it's like drowning them in oil and let it sit for a day or two then try to move the hand wheel ever so slowly. see if it works but if you've done some oiling on all the moving parts then it could be something else. now it dawned on me - since this has a built in motor, would you be able to go in and check the motor. gear maybe broken. i have a 301 but i have not work on the 301 deeper than just putting oil. there is definitely going on between the hand wheel and motor/motor gear (in my assumption). i maybe wrong but just another possibility. i found THIS VIDEO ABOUT 301 REPAIR you might want to check it out.

also the bobbin mechanism might be engaged. check it out.

Last edited by singerguy; 06-16-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Ariana, did you take the bobbin case apart or the hook base? The bobbin case is the part in the link I gave you to my site. That was only to help you get that screw moving so you could adjust tension.

The hook base, is the part that was here: http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php

I am 99.8% sure that this is where your problem lies. It's very possible to have thread caught back there that you can't see without disassembly.

This is what I dug out of one machine from exactly there (yes, I had a hint that it was there, but no idea that there was this much) and yes, the machine had the exact same symptoms you're describing in both posts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479452[/ATTACH]

To add a photo to an existing thread do one of two things:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479453[/ATTACH]
If you're using the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the screen, look at the top of that box, and there's a "picture" icon, just like in the other window when you start the new thread.

If you click on "Go Advanced", it looks pretty much identical to how it did when you started this thread. Same picture icon.

I agree with Miriam, we need to see the bobbin area - without the bobbin case in place preferably, and also if you could post a pic like this one (this is a featherweight, I didn't want to pull the 301 down from above my head)

This is the area I mentioned that would be behind the drip pan right on the other side of where the bobbin case goes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479454[/ATTACH]

From here on, I think we really need photos. We've been operating blind and I think that's why we're going in circles.
Attached Thumbnails threadjam.jpg   clipboard02.jpg   clipboard01.jpg