Thread: My Singer 301
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
pardon my ignorance, but all this time i thought this is a newly acquired machine that the hand wheel will just not turn. that's all i know nothing less nothing more so i advised her on oiling it as that's what i always do when i got a 'new' old machines.

by the way what's that blue thing on your bobbin case?
No, that's completely fair. I figured I should mention it so that we didn't duplicate a lot of effort that we'd already covered in the other thread.

I suspect that the blue is either a reflection or a weird artifact from the photo. I saw it too.

The 2 things that were bothering me about the photo were:
The hook base looked like it was on top of a lip on the right side, not underneath like it was supposed to be, but that was me mis-remembering. The other thing that bothered me was that I could see too much of the hook tip for the position of the hook, but I think that's just the angle of the shot and it looks to me like there's a wider gap at the top right than the bottom right, indicating that the gib screw was improperly set, but again - I think it was an optical illusion.

Arianna, the only thing I could find that was different between my hook base and yours was the number of "notches" on the right side of it. I can't see that affecting anything, unless the one that's in your machine is actually from a 221 or a 222, but I think mizkaki said that the finger wouldn't even hold in place if they were switched. The part number on my hook base is: 170166 and it's on the collar right under the finger.

As a piece of good news, I learned tonight that you can take that hook base off without having to take the throat plate off. I bet a bunch of you knew that already though and just wanted to see how long til I figured it out too.