View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Skylark53

Great advice here, many thanks! I've completed two rows, and lined them up - perfect no, but not as off as I thought it would be....And since I am tying the quilt, and plan to do it at that corners with the "tuft" of thread on the top side, that should also serve to hide things some

My next issue will be to see how "straight" the strips are! They didn't look too bad but I should probably sew these two strips together and see what I get before I continue!

@CorgiNole - I ordered that seam guide from Nova - I figure that will come in handy for future projects. I had tried magnets before but for some odd reason they really didn't seem to stick on my machine? Maybe they just weren't strong enough. Anyways, I think that will be a big help. My other machine, a 70's era Kenmore is what I'm going to use to sew the pieced rows together and that I don't mind taping a credit card to!

@sherryl1 - I think I'm hesitant somewhat because it is a family heirloom and also because I do work in a museum and thus shudder at the thought of putting tape on antiques haha. I'm sure it would be fine but I'd be too worried it wouldn't be.

@AngeliaNR - I think I might try that, sewing them in 4 block squares for the next two rows, and see how it goes.

For the staggering/offset suggestions - those are good ideas too. I'd consider that if I hadn't already sewn two rows and spent hours on the layout getting the colors spread out. But may end up doing that if things go any further South for me haha.