View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 AM
kay carlson

Default Sewing tools organization

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I have a craftsman tool chest that holds all my gismos. It is on wheels and can be rolled to wherever I need it. I got it at an ALCO store on sale and it was only 79$. Came in two pieces so was easy to transport home in my car trunk.
I have been fortunate to have a roll about Craftsman shallow drawer cart for ten years. The roll of heavy duty rubber gripper mat stays on the bottom of each drawer. Usually, I can see every item when I pull out the drawer. Items stored include cutting (scissors, rotary cutters, blades);sewing items in open top containers (hand and machine needles, kits, thimbles, threaders, pins, clips, thread wax, etc.); notions (velcro, seam binding, zippers, labels, etc.) grouped in heavy duty plastic bags;boxes of plastic bags of varying size.

My favorite tip is using 3 or more cloth pencil cases with the vinyl window, zipper, and eyelets to fit a three ring binder. These pencil cases hold marking pencils, pencil sharpener, pens, etc. This is stored in a deeper drawer with some specialty rulers. Directions for specialty rulers are all in a plastic legal size envelope.

Yes, I like transparent containers for my items! Bamboo cutlery box at each work station contain empty bobbins, scissors, ruler, extra machine feet, package of needles, screwdriver, seam ripper, and pincushion. These boxes slide under the plastic sewing table attached to each of my machines.

The hardest trick is teaching the sewer/artist to put things away when finished at the end of each day......