View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
KLO - the whole reason I have money to spend is because you can't take it with you . . . so in a way my Parents are financing my collection. It's one of the things that makes my collection very special to me - that and all the wonderful people I've met
Yes, Cathy, I get your meaning. My parents were so conservative but then they grew up in the depression and never really mentally left it. When they passed away, there was definitely too much of their hard earned money left to distribute. They should have been spending it. Both my dh and I grew up mostly poorish but did not know it because we were happy and had a roof over our heads and food on the table every night. When we had kids, we did not buy the $125 sneakers for them to outgrow in 2 months and we never over bought on a house, only what we could actually comfortably afford. We did not go into debt for any of our educations. My dd often thanks us for her "free to her" college education so she did not have a tuition debt to contend with in adulthood. Not so sure my one son gets that. So now my dh says he wants to be spending his last dime when he dies but of course that is impossible so we have a budget and still get to buy some things for ourselves that we just plain "want". Plus we have set up education funding for our two grandboys because education is so important and their parents will never be able to afford two college tuitions when it's time for them to go. Wow, look what you got me started on, Cathy. Sorry! Yep, so spend what you can on what you want as long as you are comfortably able. No one know how long they have on this earth.