View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 03:58 PM
CarolinePaj

bravo...... Lynda,

Well said......

I sadly lost my mother when she was very young too, so I sympathise with you so much.....but that said, all your other comments were so true...... Sometimes we need a "quickie" and at others we want to take our time and savour the process.

Hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
Although I didn't subscribe to the webinar (and won't subscribe to any of them), I do recognize what Mark's talking about. I tend to compartmentalize things, including my quilting. I make many quick quilts for friends and family, but I really enjoy making more meaningful quilts.

When my mother passed away way too young, I had just become interested in making a Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. It took the better part of a year to make all the blocks, and I spent and needed every bit of that time to deal with my mom's death. I was completely absorbed in the making of the blocks (some easy, some hard) and I often say that quilt, which I named Sylvia & Louise (my mom), is held together with thread and tears. I'll treasure it always for the peace it brought me in a very difficult time.

There have been other quilts like that I've made where I'm totally absorbed with what I'm doing and really thinking about each step and pouring myself into it.

I think the point is that there is room for all of us to be both methodical stitchers and quick quilters, or somewhere in the middle. It's whatever is appropriate to that moment in our lives and what is satisfying to each of us. Both can produce lovely quilts!

I will continue my magazine subscriptions, not because I've ever made a single quilt in them, but because of the creativity they spark in me. I always end up with one or two seeds of ideas which somewhere down the road can end up in a quilt.

Follow your bliss!