View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
romanojg

I did NS for 6 mos and lost 75lbs. I was so happy, then my ex came home from his cruise and he was happy so he said but I had high doubts when for my birthday, he bought me a large birthday cake. He said he was trying to be nice, it was the first time in 7 yrs of marriage that he'd gotten me a cake or anything sweet. Once I went off the diet I gained the weight back.

Over 20 yrs ago I had weight loss surgery. It has lots of trials and tribulations, its no easy fix like most think. You still have to work at it or you'll gain your weight back. There were lots of things I hadn't been told in advance so it was a shocker the first time I tried to eat a little of my sons birthday cake, on bite sent me to the bathroom. About 10yrs after my surgery I had gotten a night job and went back up to 160 + and then one night I said this is crazy, I didn't go thru this surgery to be overweight. The problem back then was that they never really deal with why you gained your weight and you have a tendancy to put it back on. A friend just had it about 2 yrs ago and they have changed some things like she had to get a trainer and a certain amount of excercising afterwards and a few other things that are good for any weight loss program.

I went on the Southbeach diet because it mimics the diet for the WLS the most. Low carbs, low fat and high healthy protein. The other diet that mimics it is kind of the same but it just says high protein, no matter what kind. I couldn't believe when a co-worker brought a giant bag of fried bacon in to snack on, saying she needs lots of protein. Come on now, that's just wrong that a grown up person would do that. I've sinced learned this person is one who can justify anything she does to make it right in her mind. Anyway's about 2 months later I was back down to 140 and stayed that way for several yrs. Now I'm back down to 121 and have maintained it for quite some times. Its a struggle sometimes but its worth it. The thing that most don't realize that after surgery, you can make your body get used to all of those things that made you over weight in the first place but I refuse to do that to myself. I know lots who have and you can't tell they've ever had surgery and have put lots of weight back on.

addressing the gall bladder ....when I had my surgery the doctor removed mine, as he did all of his patients. The reason is that when we lose weight we have a tendancy not to drink enough water to flush our system out and that's why people have issues with thier gall bladders. They aren't being flushed of the toxins. When I went in for screening, I already had 5 gallstones that amazed the doctors that I couldnt feel them, they were big.

If I were to recommend any diet it would be South Beach because its a healthy life style change but you can still eat a little of what you like once you are on track but if you follow the diet you'll be eating healthier.

The second one I know that lots of people have success with is WW, the problem with it, like NS and others like it, is you are constantly putting out more money and then if you have a money crunch the first thing you stop is your weight loss program. With SB, you learn how to incorporate normal food into your normal life and its easy to stay on because you aren't constantly putting out money for programs and the food.

Last edited by romanojg; 07-06-2014 at 04:15 AM.