Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nutri System Experience

Nutri System Experience

I am thinking of trying Nutri System. Has anybody tried it and if so what's your experience with it.
    Thanks,
    Dottie

I haven't done it - I did Jenny Craig many years ago and was great while I was on it. But with young children around I was fixing two meals at every meal. And no one at work was on it - so going out to lunch was also a problem. I know celebrities swear by it - but then I am fairly sure they are provided everything in exchange for their testimonies.

When all is said and done - the most successful diet out there is Weight Watchers. I have no connection with any program - but in California Workers' Compensation system when an injured party's weight increases the effects of the injury the carrier/employer has to pay for a weight reduction program. So I did research quite a few because they all wanted the most expensive and I can honestly say not one worked. No one wanted to do Weight Watchers because that took effort on their part and no special food.

I tried Nutrisystem about five years ago. I did lose some weight, but found that many of the meals were 'yucky' either texture-wise or taste-wise or both. The Nutrisystem forum for folks who purchased their meals consisted primarily of discussions on how to make a certain meal edible. It was rare to have a pre-made meal as it was, without going through some type of recipe to make it palatable. Please remember I tried this five years ago, so much may have changed since then, but I won't be trying it again.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate.

Blog Entries
    I agree with renee, the food is so over processed and high in sodium that we couldn't stay with it. I've doneWW and you can do it on line or the meetings, also they have many frozen means. Best thing is 70% veggies and some chicken and fish, little or no beef or pork. Good luck
    Patski
    always learning

I haven't tried it because who could afford to eat that way the rest of their life?
    But what I have experienced is in the late 80's I worked at a gourmet food store for awhile that had one of their stores next door. The employees would all come over on their breaks and eat the most fattening things we had in the shop and gossip about who their 'clients' were that day. They are just CLERKS, they aren't trained in health in anyway, unless corporate gives them some guidelines to work with.

If anything were easy we'd all do it. But there aren't any magic bullets.
    I use my pedometer, clipping it on first thing, (currently a fitbit zip)
    This sets my attitude...begin as I mean to go on.

I track my food intake each day (currently at MyFitnessPal), but there are lots of places.
    I eat the food I always eat, but be honest about portion size.
    If you don't know portions, learn!
    Keep food you can't control yourself over out of the house. Family can eat it elsewhere, this is your life you are talking about here, not 30 seconds pleasure.

Come over to the monthly fitness thread and just talk to us and with us, support is the greatest gift in the world.

All the best wishes

I lost weight with them but it took 6 months to lose 15 lbs and I couldn't stand their food at the end - all I could get down was their two types of pizza and their cereal. Like others have said, their food is not tasty. You can tolerate it short-term if you're motivated to lose a little for a special occasion. And BTW, the "free" week in the ads is foods that they pick (you can't select your own) and it may be things you won't eat. And you WILL gain the weight back once you're off their program foods.

What they are doing for you is portion control. You can do this on your own with pre-packaged frozen meals (like Lean Cuisines or Weight Watchers) and weighing and measuring if you have the discipline. Get yourself a "weigh-buddy" to watch your tracked weights to keep you accountable.

I have also done Weight Watchers meetings. I recommend them over anything. They teach you not only what to eat but why you are eating and alternatives. The members are very supportive and encouraging and your weigh-ins are private. I have been Lifetime (meaning you met your goal weight within your allowed range for your height) for three years now, and still choose to follow the program and go to meetings. I have to go back to basics off and on, to stop the weight creep, but that's easy to do since I prepare my own food and making my own choices. Best of luck with your weight loss journey!

I did it about 3 years ago and lost 40 lbs. It's easy, compartmentalized, and no thinking involved, I didn't have to think about food constantly. I had to quit when we moved to a new house, just too many expenses. I absolutely loved it. Yes the food is yucky straight out of the packet but there are ways to add to it to make it better. If you are thinking about trying it, I noticed Walmart has a starter pack. It's enough for the first week and is a pretty good indicator of the foods. If you decide to get a months worth from them, you can modify your order online and delete any that you cannot stand before the next order arrives. The only warning I have is I know two other people on it, that have had to get their gall bladder out after being on it. I had to also. Can't say it was their diet, it was just an odd coincidence that we all had been on it at about the same time and had our surgeries within weeks of each other. I have gained back 20 lbs.

I have done them all one time or another...every diet is just a DIET! I gained back all my losses plus some. I have learned some good things from each one though and now I am learning to live on less food, but not less weight because I am much less active now.

I eat turkey and chicken, avacado, and as little breads as I can manage. I juice breakfast (1/2 veggies and 1/3 fruit/and protein. I eat salads when out mostly and try to cook a good dinner....this is my down fall...I don't enjoy cooking any more and I wish I would, so I end up with more frozen foods, or easy potatoes in the micro...stuff like that. My snacks are mostly almonds and once in a while pretzels. Boring ain't it! And I am not loosing, mostly maintaining my 50 pounds overage!

Some of us have a very slow metabolism even though the Drs. say just eat less. (I also use an app My Fitness - to track these foods and I eat between 1200-1400 cal a day.) This might be my best tip for everyone....track your eating.

PS...anything that needs advertised sp much isn't working or worth your time.
    Last edited by Treasureit; 07-04-2014 at 03:38 PM.

No said anything about WALKING !!! You have to MOVE to loose weight. About 30 years ago I did it on my own. I lost 150 # and have kept it off that long. I still walk daily, but back then I was walking 7 miles a day , now only 1mile.... I did not do WW, Nutri System, Jenny Craig , or any others just made up my mind and DID IT !!

I wouldn't try any of those'
    There is a secret to losing weight. It is you have to eat less and move more. One thousand calories a day is good for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My sister lost quite a bit of weight doing Nutrisystem, but the food is really processed. She said one night she was making hamburgers for her kids as her "hamburger" was re-hydrating in water. She said she realized she could do a diet on her own for a lot cheaper. After Nutrisystem she gained most of the weight back.

I lost a lot of weight (over 50 pounds) by counting calories. I ate the things I like even desserts. And here's the secret for me...I need to log everything I put in my mouth. Every day I started a new page and wrote everything down with the calorie counts along with my feelings about my day/my weight/my life. This makes you reflect on why you want to eat when you're not hungry! At the time I was focusing also on getting at least 25 grams of fiber, along with a couple other requirements. It didn't work when I just tried to count it in my head. I found I could lose weight eating about 1500-1700 calories a day. But I belong to a gym and do mindful exercise too.

I know what I need to do. Unfortunately I went through some stressful times over the last couple years and I've gained the weight back. That's the other secret for me. I need to continue the daily log for the rest of my life but I just haven't started back up again. Plus I really like to eat out and eat more than I should.
    Lori

I was at a "Swap" event several years ago where you could bring in stuff you didn't want and leave it for anyone who wanted it. A lady walked in very briskly with two large bags, left them, and walked out. They were full of Nutrisystem food, unopened. I took some and tried it, I had to agree with her, most of it was inedible and none of it tasted good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    There is a secret to losing weight. It is you have to eat less and move more. One thousand calories a day is good for me.
    Yes, as Dave Barry says, 100 years ago there was only one diet book - it was titled "Don't Eat So Much!"

What I learned from being on Nutrisystem for 4 years was/is.

*portion size!! We all fail at that.
    *no alcoholic beverages! They trigger food cravings. (i like wine.)
    *Lower sugar intake. Sugar alcohol is substituted for real sugar. They can "burn" when consumed. Read your "low sugar" labels on anything. You will likely see these in the ingredients.
    *lower sodium content in the foods. True. They are portioned out to be lower sodium. Compare NS to other processed frozen food, Marie Calendar is one of the worst salt busters! Yikes!
    * Eat your veggies and fresh fruit!! Repeat often! I learned to love fresh fruits 20 years ago when I was on weight watchers. We ALL struggle to eat the daily requirements of fruits and veggies. Admit it. My eating habits improve when I adhere to this rule. But I struggle to do it everyday. V-8 is one great way to get a serving or 2 of veggies in. (Large can is 2)

Yes, you have to get used to some of the processed foods of NS but if you strictly follow the program as designed, you will feel fuller than you ever thought and you will lose weight. But, like any "diet" or food program, if you fall of the wagon, you are going to gain it back.

Read the discussion group on the NS website. It is a wealth of info.

I no longer do the auto ship. I admit to NS burnout and they eliminated some of my favs. I have gained some weight back because........I drink my wine, eat too much sugar, got LAZY!!! I do need to get back on track. This was my doing...not a "program" flaw. Not any program flaw. We gain weight due to bad eating habits.

addressing the gall bladder ....i have quite a few friends who had theirs removed. They were never on a prepackaged diet plan. BAD eating habits can/does contribute to that. I would not necessarily draw a conclusion to blame NS on the gall bladder issue unless the dr. suspects.

We eat too many pre-packaged processed foods. As a whole, i believe they cannot be healthy but what to do?? I wish that I could be home every day to prepare a healthy meal..but I can't and I do the best that I can.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-05-2014 at 03:30 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

We tried it and it was successful as long as we followed it rigorously. The food isn't that bad, in my opinion; you find what you like and then you order it in quantity. However, we did put the pounds back on pretty quickly when we stopped, even though we were eating healthy and walking. Now doing Weight Watchers Online (for folks who have no interest in the meetings!). We track each day by points and get to eat out sometimes.....it's working the best of all we've tried.
    Last edited by teacherbailey; 07-05-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    1,000 calories a day? Cant be healthy. Sorry.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Spend some time on this website. I stumbled across it about a year ago. The blogger is a young, busy woman with a family. She has lots of good recipes, freezer meals, crockpot meals, and make ahead meals. She is quite organized and I've liked everything I've tried from her site. And it is free!!
    http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/
    Pat

Hi Dottie, Many years ago when I was still working, I lost over 100 lbs using NutriSystem. The food wasn't great but I did OK. The problem is you can't stay on it forever. When I went off the regimen I regained the 100 lbs plus over 100 more. I believe there are two reasons it does work. Portion control is the MAIN reason it works IMO. You need to figure this out anyway so why not do it now, save the money, and have a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle. The second reason is (at least when I did it) the weekly meeting; knowing I had to face someone every week and how "disappointed" she would look if I didn't lose made me less inclined to do that little tiny cheat.
    I finally had to resort to bariatric surgery and lost over 150 lbs. It's drastic and not for everyone. If you want the regimen, I really suggest Weight Watchers. It's not inexpensive, either and there are the rah rah meetings (a particular dislike of mine), but you don't have to use their food and it's easier to go out either to public or private occasions where you will be eating.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success. Getting rid of extra weight be it 10 lbs or 100, will definitely help with whatever your health problem. Remember to get in the excercise; otherwise nothing will work permanently. Joyce in Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    Spend some time on this website. I stumbled across it about a year ago. The blogger is a young, busy woman with a family. She has lots of good recipes, freezer meals, crockpot meals, and make ahead meals. She is quite organized and I've liked everything I've tried from her site. And it is free!!
    http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/
    From her comments portion I am presuming she is selling this vitamix stuff........another diet aid...once off! puff weight gained plus!!!!! WW seems to be the most practical. It's a hand to mouth addiction!

Eating less and moving more is the answer. If you need a little help - check out www.myfitnesspal.com. It allows you to track your food/calorie count/exercise and now they also offer some healthy recipes. When you track your foods you suddenly realize how much those "snacks" add to your hips.

It has been a way for me to keep on track. No meetings, even a phone app so no excuse for not know exactly what those extras are costing you in calories. They have a great many prepared meals, restaurant meals, etc. and if you have something new there is a place to add your recipes and calorie counts so it will always be available to you. You can be anonymous or share your info with friends.

I had to friends from work and a relative who used Nutri System. They all lost weight, and all three had to have their gall bladder removed......coincidence..maybe. I did read back then....it has been over ten years, that a lot of NS users had to have their gall bladders removed. My daughter has lost 43 lbs since January. I have lost 21. We both cut out sugar, read labels for sugar content, lowered carbs like bread...very little potato...no formal exercise...just worked in the garden, went fishing....that is pretty much it. The two of us did have several birthday events where we ate a piece of cake with no icing....but did have ice cream. You don't have to skip sugar all together, eat fruit instead.
    The pounds should come off.

I have tried NutriSystem and it works as long as you eat their food. Most of which tastes highly processed. I also did exercise with it.

However, I would recommend Weight Watchers (if you need a weight loss plan with guidance) over any of these prepackaged diet plans, because the idea is to learn how to monitor what you eat along with exercise.

Thanks for all of your input. I don't think Nutri System is for me. Guess I will more or less follow the weight watchers plan. WW has a simply filling plan where you eat selected foods until you are satisfied but not stuffed. It consists of fruits, veggies and protein. At least there are more veggies and fruit available.
    Good luck to all of us.

I have never tried but my daughter said it was awful and so have a lot of her clients.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

Blog Entries
    I tried so many diets over the years, that I finally gave up when my weight reached 504 lbs. (yes, you read that right 504 lbs!) I decided to make one last effort and if it did not help, I would just resign myself to being fat. I made an appointment with a nutritionist in 2008. She was a wonderful, caring lady, whose first question was "What stops you from being able to follow a diet?" I had never asked myself that question. As she and I talked, she was able to tell me that my first problem seemed to be remembering all the "rules" attached to each diet. Her suggestion has been a miracle weight loss 'diet' for me so I will pass it along in case it will help one of you.
    Her instruction was so simple, I have lost over two hundred pounds using it. She said "Never eat anything if you can't tell what it was, when it grew." That was so easy to follow no matter who was doing the cooking. An example would be you know a carrot was a carrot when it grew, but what does a bread plant look like? Flour does not grow already ground, so none of that. (No, you can't pretend it is breadfruit!) For those of us who have memory problems this is the easiest diet ever. The best thing she taught me was that a serving of anything is never bigger than your palm. The whole idea is so simple and I have my measuring unit attached to my hand, so nothing to forget! I eat meat, veggies, and fruit. I have also discovered that a lot of the things that were toxic to my health were things I did from habit not from taste. (Frying foods, sauces, gravy, whipped cream, etc.) Keeping it simple has been my life story for the last 24 years, but this is the first time it has saved me. Please use whatever works for you, but remember starving yourself makes your body go into "survival mode" and it starts saving everything for later. Yes, I tried Nutri-system, and the food was just awful. Over processed, over cooked, under seasoned, bland. MRE's that my BFF's DH gave me, were more appetizing. The photos of the food made it look appetizing, but the reality was yech! Good luck on your get healthy plan.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast