View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
quilt938

awesome! I'm thinking of getting one of these for my collection but a friend keeps telling me I need to sell some machines to pay for it (kinda strains the friendship LOL since I get kinda defensive!) just found this forum and it's awesome reading! I was interested in the old vintage Singers several years ago - maybe 10 years ago - and managed a couple of featherweights, 301, 201 that needs oiling a lot(or so I was told by seller -I haven't played with it yet!), a cute 99 and 66s I think- black and one redeye? then my mom got interested and started buying bunch at estate sales, etc so I sorta let her have at it. I lost both parents in 2011 and inherited my mom's sewing machines and she had even more than I thought - through the years of her collecting she passed on to me a bernina record (think it's one of the collectible ones), 15-91, 301 and now I have a bunch of others I'm trying to learn how to use and see if they're keepers or not.
I work shiftwork and have little patience so those are the main reasons I haven't played with these machines yet - I like to quilt when I have time and don't really like sitting down with a new machine and face failure but man when they work the first time out (like the 15-90 she had) it's so awesome! I had to make myself put that one back up and pull out another but unfortunately the one I picked out (403) needs some help with the cams- they're not looking like any kind of stitch LOL - the straight stitch is pretty decent though...so my patience ended after about 10 min so I need to find a friend interested in these old machines so we can sit down and fiddle with them together. I do have one friend but she lives a couple hours away...