View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
We had a travel trailer years ago. Forget the size but not overly small or large. DH thought that would be the better idea vs an RV as once it's set up (level, water/sewer hook ups), you have a vehicle to do local travel without having to reset everything. From that perspective, yes, it was a good idea. Honestly, we did not use it all that often. Shower, kitchen, bed...all the comforts of home. Everything there, just on a smaller scale. We had also rented an RV for a trip prior to purchasing the used trailer. It was a bit larger but sort of cemented the concept of having a smaller vehicle for local travel. Plus it happened to pour rain the weekend we had the RV so the constant set up/breakdown to travel somewhere other than the campground was not only painful but messy!

I would certainly suggest used as well. Look carefully at the bed configuration. You don't want to have to set up/take down the kitchen table to sleep every night. You don't want to have to climb to a 'loft' to sleep either. Make sure the mattress/sofa/chair cushions aren't musty smelling. Make sure the appliances work (usually all propane powered).

It can be a fun way to travel. Staying at campgrounds that have the electric/water hook ups and paying for those services (used to be you paid for the space and then services separately - don't know if that is still the case) we found, honestly, no cheaper than the local Red Roof Inn type motel.

And are you both comfortable driving that size vehicle and/or towing a trailer? Otherwise all the driving responsibilities fall to one person.

Good luck.
In addition to this great advice I would add-check all cupboard ceilings with a flashlight for signs of moisture or leaks. I would also spend the first couple nights staying in it in your own yard so you will find out exactly what you need to take with you for creature comforts, and what you need to avoid being bored, and whatever else you might find out about yourself and "roughing it". After spending a couple years doing parts delivery for my sister's trucking company, I have seen some really sorry "quality" hotel rooms, (moldy ceilings, trash under beds, mystery stains, not fresh beds, faulty heat and AC, etc.) and with your own bed, there is much less chance of bringing home bed bugs. Do hotels EVER wash those bedspreads????