Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camper/RV advice?

Camper/RV advice?

We are kicking around the idea of a camper or small RV. recently retired, and this sounds like a fun way to accomplish last minute travels.....what advice do you have from experience? I need a shower and decent "kitchen" on board! . I think a gently used vehicle would be a smarter purchase to start with?
    Thanks!

We had a travel trailer years ago. Forget the size but not overly small or large. DH thought that would be the better idea vs an RV as once it's set up (level, water/sewer hook ups), you have a vehicle to do local travel without having to reset everything. From that perspective, yes, it was a good idea. Honestly, we did not use it all that often. Shower, kitchen, bed...all the comforts of home. Everything there, just on a smaller scale. We had also rented an RV for a trip prior to purchasing the used trailer. It was a bit larger but sort of cemented the concept of having a smaller vehicle for local travel. Plus it happened to pour rain the weekend we had the RV so the constant set up/breakdown to travel somewhere other than the campground was not only painful but messy!

I would certainly suggest used as well. Look carefully at the bed configuration. You don't want to have to set up/take down the kitchen table to sleep every night. You don't want to have to climb to a 'loft' to sleep either. Make sure the mattress/sofa/chair cushions aren't musty smelling. Make sure the appliances work (usually all propane powered).

It can be a fun way to travel. Staying at campgrounds that have the electric/water hook ups and paying for those services (used to be you paid for the space and then services separately - don't know if that is still the case) we found, honestly, no cheaper than the local Red Roof Inn type motel.

And are you both comfortable driving that size vehicle and/or towing a trailer? Otherwise all the driving responsibilities fall to one person.

Good luck.

Expensive and a lot of work. Hotels for me. We sold our 43' RV after a couple of years. Hubby did the "work" . I would RENT them first to determine if you really would enjoy having one. Do you have a place to store it? A place to rent a storage space?? There are costs to ownership besides driving them.

They are pretty nice but we don't miss ours. "Camping" days are over for me.

Yes, consider pre-owned. We took a loss when we sold ours only a few years later. That $$ would have paid for quite a few cruises! Of course, the economy was not that strong. Gas is high. A lot of these larger RV are on semi-truck wheel bases.

Do your homework. Have fun!

sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-11-2014 at 03:37 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I used to camp a lot. Had two different pop-ups and one truck camper. Truck camper was a pain because you had to either take the entire thing with you if you wanted to go somewhere or take the camper off the truck. Pop-ups are more like tent camping. Don't know if they have kitchens now but mine didn't. Had to cook outdoors, rain or shine.
    It all depends on how much you want to trailer. How confident you feel driving with a camper behind you. Get the best you can afford and enjoy the journey. My motto through many years as a Girl Scout leader and family camper was, "Don't complain, camp in the rain!"

Power Poster
    You might want to do a cost analysis:

Days spent actually away from home - what it would cost for staying in a hotel/motel and eating out/and getting there -
    as compared to -
    year round ownership of an RV - plus the travel costs when/if you actually go somewhere.

There are other comparisons that could be made also.

If you travel a lot - convenience of having your stuff always "there" as compared to having to "pack up" to go somewhere,

etc.

dd
    This is my husband line of work for the past 30 years. Definitely rent before you own, he rents where he works. Do take into consideration the work involved with owning and the added expenses; tags, insurance, storage. Campsite rentals aren't that cheap anymore, dumping fees. Buying used is usually cheaper but you have to know what to look for to avoid problems down the road, you don't have a warranty if you by from an individual. Do you have something to pull it with? Buy something large and you can tow a small car behind so you have something to drive around once you're there. Most people leave things in their camper so they don't have to restock every time they want to leave. That means 2 of everything you have in your house. Some people really love it. Me, I'll take a hotel every time.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    Look for one where you have a walk around bed. Get it with a real bathroom where you don't sit in the toilet to take a shower. Test out the seating..we have 2 recliners...very comfy compared to straight back cushions. If you buy a used one,just replace the mattress. I stocked ours with thrift store finds,keep staples in it...all we do is put the clothes and fresh foods in,and away we go! I love having my own bed and bath. I keep basic sewing stuff and just grab. A project. It's less expensive than a hotel if you use it a lot. I'm at Sisters for the quilt week...very nice.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

We bought a new diesel pusher, loved spending time in it, hated driving it. Fortunately my DH had negotiated a really great deal, so we lost nothing when we sold it. We still loved the idea of an RV, just not the reality.

Blog Entries
    We have had several the first one was a Alaskan camper that raises and lowers it fit on our truck bed . But we wanted a cab over so we got one of those. we sold the first one and trying to sell the second one. We now have a Toyota motor home. We usually camp at the national parks they are cheap and a lot more to see than the regular campgrounds. There is so much to see I would say go for it and enjoy. We started camping when the kids were little never went very far or had the money to do so.

Lots of food for thought! Thanks everyone! We may rent one his fall for a trial run.....

Blog Entries
    We owned several, had to work on them because of leaks. When you pull them over rough roads things seem to cause leaks that constantly need repaired and can cause lots of damage if left. They can loose value if not stored under cover.
    We didn't use it as much as we thought we would when we retired, so sold it. The best advantage is you have your own bed and know what is in the unit.

Lots of good advice here jill... we camp in Ohio quite a bit - lots of great parks and campgrounds to visit!
    Definitely go used if you don't have a lot of experience, a small motor home is convenient, especially if you can tow a car behind. We are on our 4th RV and they got bigger and more expensive each time. We have a large fifth wheel trailer now and honestly, it is as nice as my home. LOL

I much prefer travel by RV than hotels - I like knowing who slept in my bed the night before!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have camped a lot. I grew up in a family that went from tent to tent camper to trailer. When I got married my husband hadn't camped but we borrowed my parents tent camper for our honeymoon and camped ever since. We traveled with our children to 48 states before they left home so have gone thousands and thousands of miles and countess nights. There is no comparison between hotel and camping. With camping not only do you have your own things but you have the outdoor experience and people in campgrounds are much more friendly than people in hotels.

If you haven't camped much then I recommend you rent before you buy to see how much you like the experience. There is work involved. Purchasing a good used RV is good advice too. You can often find one where someone has upgraded or for health reasons has given up camping.

If you find that you don't like camping then that's OK too. It's something you really don't know until you try it. A good test too is to be camping when the weather isn't so good!

Blog Entries
    Renting one first is a terrific idea! There are always RVs for sale here in FL in the winter. Some used a very short time, others used longer. There are lots that sell brand new, too, if that's what you want. Rent first, then decide.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

If your husband is a handyman, buy a used one, but first rent or borrow one from a friend. You will get the feel of camping. Don't spend all your time in a paid campground but enjoy the State and National Parks too, and local lakes. Learn to cook simple, easy meals. Take your sewing machine if you want. Be sure when you buy to get a camper with a generator and then you always have lights and electricity. We started camping with a tent when our kids were little, then progressed to a camper my husband built into an old "bread truck" van for about 30 years and then graduated to an older RV. Had lots of fun in them all. Camped many of the Western states and Canada. All our kids have wonderful memories of our camping expeditions and now that it's just the two of us we go to the Good Sam Convention and some music festivals when we feel like it. Campers are usually friendly, wonderful people. We still converse with people we met in Canada many years ago. Beats motels all to pieces and you get to sleep in your own bed every night, eat in or out to suit yourselves, no check in or out rules, and get to spend lots of time outdoors if the weather suits your clothes.

We have had two gently used so far. We had a van size / style one that I loved.. (I think it was called a leisure van ) Plenty of storage but if you set up at a campsite you are stuck there. We sold it to buy one you pull behind you. Bought a "16' scamp". Great lightweight pull along BUT not enough storage and cramped for two people. You could park it and take off in truck. So we sold it!

Looking again found a Viking about the same length as the scamp. Love the layout and great storage! Just waiting and looking for a gently used to come our way

Make sure whatever you get, someone that knows what they are talking about checks it out. Rv repairs are pricy!

Blog Entries
    we have owned a series of different campers ovr the past 40 years and after retirement we lived in our last one for 3 years before my hubby had a heart attack and we decided we needed a home it is a 29 foot fifth wheel with a large slide out we traveled all over and loved it spent winters in Arizona and summers wherever now do to age can no longer handle it so will be selling but I do miss it go for it and enjoy although gas is much more expensive now than it was then and so are camp grounds

I traveled and worked for 10 years, and during that time I owned and lived in several different fifth wheel travel trailers. I LOVED having my OWN space, not having to live out of hotels/motels.

The first one was a used fifth wheel 32 ft. long with no slides. The bedroom was in the rear of the trailer. You had to go through the bathroom to get to the bedroom, so it had two sliding doors between the living area and the bedroom, so it was great if someone wanted to watch TV in the living area while someone else slept because having two doors between helped with the noise level. It had a QS bed with storage underneath. This trailer had ample basement storage under the trailer.

The second one was used, 43 ft. with two slides. I replaced the carpet, bought a Lazy Boy recliner and QS hide-a-bed couch, and re-covered the dining room chairs. One slide was the length of the kitchen/dining/living area, and the other was in the bedroom. The kitchen/dining/living area was large. The dining area had an oak table and 4 chairs. The kitchen had a built-in U-Line ice maker and a dishwasher. The bathroom was off of the hallway with a regular door. It had a bathtub and shower as well as a stackable washer/dryer. The bedroom was large enough to walk around the KS bed. I had a TV in the living area as well as the bedroom. The trailer was wired with a sound system, which was nice. I had ample storage in this trailer as well as underneath. I really loved it because it felt like "home."

Because I'd owned and lived in several fifth wheels, I knew what I wanted, so when I bought my last one, it was 42 ft. long with 3 slides. The bathroom could be accessed from the hallway or the bedroom. I would never own a trailer that has the lavatory in the bedroom like some of them do. If I had visitors, I didn't want them in my bedroom. I had a KS bed with storage under the bed. I kept the recliner and hide-a-bed couch that I had purchased previously because it was much better quality than what comes in trailers. I had a stackable washer and dryer in the closet in my bedroom. This trailer had a huge basement storage underneath as well. I loved living in this trailer as well.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

I would rent one before you own, just to make sure you like it. We have a 40' Holiday Rambler diesel engine motorhome. We love the experience and have been to Canada and many other places. We live in Louisiana. You can travel at your own pace and bring anything portable from your home with you. The people you meet are so nice and cordial and always ready to help. Best of all you sleep in your own bed each night and don't have to worry about bed bugs. We have found that traveling in a motorhome is about the same price as motels and eating at restaurants along the way. It just depends on what you would like.

Before you get any pull-behind camper, be sure of what your vehicle is rated to safely tow. Consider the weight of the camper, with a full tank of water, propane, and any extras you may put inside.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    We had a travel trailer years ago. Forget the size but not overly small or large. DH thought that would be the better idea vs an RV as once it's set up (level, water/sewer hook ups), you have a vehicle to do local travel without having to reset everything. From that perspective, yes, it was a good idea. Honestly, we did not use it all that often. Shower, kitchen, bed...all the comforts of home. Everything there, just on a smaller scale. We had also rented an RV for a trip prior to purchasing the used trailer. It was a bit larger but sort of cemented the concept of having a smaller vehicle for local travel. Plus it happened to pour rain the weekend we had the RV so the constant set up/breakdown to travel somewhere other than the campground was not only painful but messy!

I would certainly suggest used as well. Look carefully at the bed configuration. You don't want to have to set up/take down the kitchen table to sleep every night. You don't want to have to climb to a 'loft' to sleep either. Make sure the mattress/sofa/chair cushions aren't musty smelling. Make sure the appliances work (usually all propane powered).

It can be a fun way to travel. Staying at campgrounds that have the electric/water hook ups and paying for those services (used to be you paid for the space and then services separately - don't know if that is still the case) we found, honestly, no cheaper than the local Red Roof Inn type motel.

And are you both comfortable driving that size vehicle and/or towing a trailer? Otherwise all the driving responsibilities fall to one person.

Good luck.
    In addition to this great advice I would add-check all cupboard ceilings with a flashlight for signs of moisture or leaks. I would also spend the first couple nights staying in it in your own yard so you will find out exactly what you need to take with you for creature comforts, and what you need to avoid being bored, and whatever else you might find out about yourself and "roughing it". After spending a couple years doing parts delivery for my sister's trucking company, I have seen some really sorry "quality" hotel rooms, (moldy ceilings, trash under beds, mystery stains, not fresh beds, faulty heat and AC, etc.) and with your own bed, there is much less chance of bringing home bed bugs. Do hotels EVER wash those bedspreads????
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    After having worked in 2 major hotel chains, I NEVER want to stay in a hotel. I know first hand just how cleaning is done (or NOT done). I much prefer camping and staying in my own bed, with my FRESHLY laundered linens.
    Sherri

I love camping in our 25' trailer. I usually get more sewing/crafting done on trips because I'm not distracted with chores around the house. I use my kitchen table for cutting and sewing ... I have a flannel tablecloth with command hooks and binder clips that I use for a design wall. I use the storage under one side of the dinette for my "stash" and put my cutting mat and rulers under my mattress for storage ... have fun ... it's a great way to travel!

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
    After having worked in 2 major hotel chains, I NEVER want to stay in a hotel. I know first hand just how cleaning is done (or NOT done). I much prefer camping and staying in my own bed, with my FRESHLY laundered linens.
    A I am sure that those who have worked in restaurants would agree too. Eat at home!

i travel for work. I just try to not think of how hotels are cleaned or not.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    We live in our RV a 38 foot motorhome with 3 slides. It's going on 7 years and we love it. Bought a gently used one first and learned a lot about the layout we wanted. I knew when we bought the new one it had to have a 4 door refrigerator, separate bathroom and table and chairs rather than a booth. We have a queen size bed with storage under it (lots of fabric). There's also lots of storage in compartments on the outside. There are lots of things to consider before purchasing one. If a pull type or fifth wheel you will need a truck to tow it. Then how big are you comfortable with. A motorhome suggest having a small vehicle to tow behind so you can get out and about where you are staying. We don't camp, we consider ourselves RVers as we like to have hookups. It is nice when traveling to not have to pack bags and like others have said I know who has slept in my bed and cooked in my kitchen. Good luck with your choice, it's a lot of fun no matter what you choose.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast