View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

I have never been to the Hershey show but I really would like to defend, just a little, The Kutztown Fair Quilt Barn. This is not really a show. These quilts are made for sale by, mostly local women, and unfortunately, you might not have known the style of the viewing. Yes the quilts are folded over railings and you get to see a bit of each quilt.

When you see something that interests all you have to do is ask for a quilt to be shown and the helpers open up any quilt you want to see and lots of conversation is created and shared among strangers. I have done it many times. It is a slow process, but that is part of the charm of the fair. Not to be rushed through it.

While you are in the barn, every quilt that is opened gets oohs and aahs and if you want they let you get a close look at any quilt of interest. It is a very personal experience. Many of my hours have been spent there enjoying the atmosphere and there is always a cheer when a sale is made.

On the last day of the show they have an auction under the outdoor covered stage and all the winning quilts are auctioned. Most of the starting bids are around $1200.00. One of the most expensive quilts ever auctioned at the fair went for $15,500 and it is still one of the largest sums ever paid for a quilt in the USA.

That's about all there is to say except how much I like the Kutztown Quilt Sale in the barn!
peace