Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hershey Quilt Show >

Hershey Quilt Show

Hershey Quilt Show

Old 07-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Question Hershey Quilt Show

I am planning on going to the Hershey Quilt Show, and I was wondering if anyone has gone. I went to the Kutztown Craft Fair and was very disappointed in the quilt barn. 99.9 percent of the quilts were folded into quarters and hung over staggered pipes. The only ones you could really see were the ones that won ribbons. I also would like some input about the vendors. In other words, is it worth the three hour car ride in both directions and a motel bill to go to this quilt show.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I have never been to the Hershey show but I really would like to defend, just a little, The Kutztown Fair Quilt Barn. This is not really a show. These quilts are made for sale by, mostly local women, and unfortunately, you might not have known the style of the viewing. Yes the quilts are folded over railings and you get to see a bit of each quilt.

When you see something that interests all you have to do is ask for a quilt to be shown and the helpers open up any quilt you want to see and lots of conversation is created and shared among strangers. I have done it many times. It is a slow process, but that is part of the charm of the fair. Not to be rushed through it.

While you are in the barn, every quilt that is opened gets oohs and aahs and if you want they let you get a close look at any quilt of interest. It is a very personal experience. Many of my hours have been spent there enjoying the atmosphere and there is always a cheer when a sale is made.

On the last day of the show they have an auction under the outdoor covered stage and all the winning quilts are auctioned. Most of the starting bids are around $1200.00. One of the most expensive quilts ever auctioned at the fair went for $15,500 and it is still one of the largest sums ever paid for a quilt in the USA.

That's about all there is to say except how much I like the Kutztown Quilt Sale in the barn!
peace
Old 07-12-2014, 02:29 PM

I go to the Hershey quilt show every year and love it!! It is one of my favorite shows. There are a lot of vendors and would be worth it to me if I had to pay for a hotel and driving. Fortunately, I only live an hour away.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 PM

I went to Quilt Odyssey last year with a friend. We had a great time looking at all the quilts on display (it is set up like a traditional quilt show, so no folded quilts). And then we shopped till we dropped. So inspirational - we're going again this year. Can't wait! We do not stay over. We drive from the Philadelphia area.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM

When is this show? I went last year and loved it. I think it was in June at the Hershey Convention center.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 PM

July 24-27th.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM

I've been there before, and drive in from Long Island. It was a nice show. I also went to a show in Philly last year that was unbelievably great. It is the beginning of Oct. I hope to be going to both again. I stayed over for the one in Hershey, as I wanted to go antiques shopping in Adamstown on Sunday.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM

I got excited when I saw the title and thought of a quilt made of chocolate!! Rats......
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Über quilting, I also like the Kutzstown Folk Festival. The volunteers were very gracious to open all the quilts you want. There are seats in the center so you can sit and enjoy. I also stood there and copied a design I liked on paper and they did not mind. Of course, I did buy an appliqué wallhanging as I cannot do that and I appreciate all the hand appliqué and hand quilting and it was also very reasonable. Besides, the quilt barn was air conditioned!!

i have heard wonderful things about the Hershey show. One of these years I will get out there.

Speaking of other nice quilt displays/outdoor shows, a wonderful non-judged show is in Tunkhannock PA in the Endless Mountains the first Saturday of October. The whole town displays beautiful quilts outside. They have a nice vendor area. They also have a guest speaker each year in the AM (Edyta Sitar was one) and a featured quilter display, such as appliqué quilts. I recommend it! Plus, there are some antique shops and a great quilt shop, Endless Mountain Quilt shop, in huge town. Check it out.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:41 PM

On IPad and it changed word. Town is not huge but very nice.