Old 07-13-2014, 04:05 AM
Koriana

Default To fix or not to fix--that is the question

Hey, everyone, I need your thoughts on an unfinished quilt. When my son was 12, he started making a quilt. It's a brown & teal mini trip around the world using the Tradition with a Twist method. He's a bit of a perfectionist and got frustrated and never finished the quilt. I'd like to finish it for him to have for his children (he and his wife just had their first child). His seams are inconsistent (varying from 1/2" to the edge of the patch). I've gotten different advice from just a few people. Some say fix it and make it as perfect as you can while others have said to only fix what's necessary for the integrity of the finished project. I have see-sawed back and forth and thus it remains in the UFO pile. I asked my son and he said that he'd like it to be straightened out but I'd like to keep his work as much as possible. I was thinking that maybe I could use various sections of his work for the backdrop for an applique project. They have a jungle theme in their nursery. I think this would allow me to keep much of his work while the viewer's eye would be more drawn to the jungle animals and the crooked seams can be worked in as part of the design element. I'd love to hear thoughts from board members. Thanks.