Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Koriana

Thanks everyone. This can be such a difficult decision. Beauty is not always defined by perfection and many quilts are more valuable (at least to the family) because of the imperfections and associated memories. I had the opportunity to speak with my son again this morning about the project. I told him that I'd laid out all of his work and was reminded how beautiful his color choices and design were and that I couldn't bear to cover it up with the appliqued animals. He said that he didn't think that what he'd done was enough to be worth finishing. I showed him the pictures and told him that it would made a 42" X 42" square without borders. I showed him the material I was planning to use for the border and asked him what he thought about adding hibiscus flowers in opposing corners. He said, "Mom, I know that you will make it beautiful. I trust you. Add what you like. But, Mom, even with borders, it's not big enough for me." And then he grinned impishly. I reminded him that at age twelve it was big enough and now it would be Ellie's quilt. But I think that was a hint to get to work on another quilt for him. Thanks again everyone and I'll post pictures of this finished top soon.